Date:
Tue, 23 Aug 2005 17:56:07 -0500

I asked about travel Mexico/Central America area near Mayan etc. historic
sites.  Thanks to all who replied.  And, I'm still open to more info and
suggestions.  Here is my summary:

three people send restaurant cards or translation info.
<><><>
Go to Belize.  They all speak English - with a British accent !!!  I like
to stay in Placencia & then take day trips out of there.  Take your own
crackers & things - but you will be able to get a lot of fresh lobster &
seafood.  I have not been there in 15 years so not sure about the
availablity of everything.  But you will get a lot of individual care.  I
used to stay at an apartment that had a full kitchen.  I made coconut
chips etc.  The mangos just fall off the trees everywhere as do the
cashew nuts.  They will cook you a lobster at breakfast to pack for a
lunch - heck I used to get a lobster for breakfast !!!  There are no
beaches that are more majestic than Belize.  or you could stay on the
little island off from Belize city.  Then you can fly to the ruins in
Mexico etc.  & to the one on the border of Guatamala.  No one stays in
belize city.
<><><>
Eating south of the border is easier than in the States. Mexico is on a
corn base and uses very little wheat. You'll find it easier to find GF
food any place in Mexico. Stick to the bigger hotels and the language
won't be as big of a problem.
<><><>
I am celiac and have traveled extrensively in the Yucatan and also
Guatemala.  I have always had the best luck eating at mom and pop places.
 The traditional CA (central american) diet does not include wheat or
dairy, they are fairly easy to avoid as long as you don't eat processed
foods (just like the US).  Resorts, cruises, etc... are more likely to
amercanize their foods by using flour as a thickener, so local eateries
are usually better.  Of course, it is also always easier to eat simple
foods where you can talk to the person who actually cooked them.  The
biggest thing to worry about when eating at roadside stands or etc...
is... always make sure you see the food cooked.  The risk for food
poisoning is very high with foods that have been sitting around.  Having
fresh corn tortillas and beans for breakfast is an aquired taste, but...
it is a taste that is easy to aquire!

btw almost all frijoles refritos or frijoles revueltos (refried beans)
are GF, but always double check, because some people do make a wheat roux
base for the beans, though that is a more common practice in the northern
part of Mexico.
<><><>
I stayed at the Barcelo in the Riveria Maya two years ago.  They were
wonderful.  They bent over backwards to help us eat.  The head chef came
out at every meal and went down the buffet line and told me what we
could eat.  The sit down restaurant made to order food for us.
<><><>
2 years ago.

We stayed at the Cameleon Marival in Puerto Aventuras.  It's an
all-inclusive resort, and less expensive than the others.  My husband and
enjoyed ourselves and purchased the trip through AAA Travel.  There are
many
other great all-inclusives down there in Playa Del Carmen as well.

If you go, I recommend checking out the Tulum (Mayan ruins) and also
Xel-Ha
(an eco-park).  Many people also went to Chichen Itza (Mayan ruins) and
really enjoyed it.

I was not diagnosed with CD until AFTER we took the trip down to Mexico,
so
I can't really recommend any good food destinations.  Luckily in Mexico
there staple foods are rice and corn tortillas, so you should be okay
with
that!

I recommend checking out www.TripAdvisor.com to read reviews on resorts,
restaurants, other vacation stuff, etc.  It was very helpful to us.
<><><>
(The following has giuded bus tours in N.America for $995, and all meals
are included in the Mexico trip.)

I've not actually done any travel yet, but www.caravantours.com (I think
that's the site) has some really great looking packages. Perhaps they
could let you know whether they can handle the dietary issues (I hear gf
is not too difficult in that area, but not to sure about avoiding dairy
if cheese goes in a lot of dishes (?).
<><><>
Gluten free is not goingto be understood easily, in Mexico, less than in
the US. No wheat flour is: No harina de trigo  pan-bread or bolillo

Pasta-pasta-fideo is angel hair pasta so you will know it on a menu

oats-avena

barley-cebada-not used commonly except in beer-cerveza

rye-centeno-not used much except in multi-grain breads

What you will want to watch is oil: ask for olive oil-aceite de oliva or
olivo, stay away from canola-it´s the same. Cheaper oils are a
combination of different vegetable oils. Corn oil-aciete de maiz is fine.

When you have tortillas have them be corn-tortillas de maiz

Mole has some bread-bolillo-in it for thinkening

Dairy products-lácteos

milk-leche

cream-crema

yogurt-yogurt(h)

buttermilk-jocoque

I live in Mexico since 33 years ago. Dx 1 1/2 yrs ago. Good luck-¡Buena
suerte¡
<><><>
And, one I thought worth looking into:
National Hurricane Center (NHC) page http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/

<><><>
Blessings,
Karen
Lamplight Hill educational resources
Email me to join our monthly specials email list!
The Will of God will never take you to where the Grace of God will not
protect you