From:
Dick LeTourneau <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dick LeTourneau <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Jan 2006 01:54:26 -0500

  Wow! There must be a lot of people with raccoon eyes out there. I
guess I can take comfort in knowing I'm not alone.

I received 49 replies to my inquiry about what causes raccoon eyes, or
black circles or bags under the eyes. Seems there are as many causes as
people who suffer from them.

Many people cited food allergies of one sort or another including
gluten, soy, corn, sugar or just about any other type of food.Also
mentioned were hypothyroidism, lack of sleep, vitamin B or magnesium
deficiency, or kidney problems. Environmental sources included allergies
to cat, dust, wind, mold, chemicals, down, filling in coats, pillows,
couches, grasses, trees, pollen, pollution, yeast and fungus. Also
dehydration can cause dark circles.

Thinning skin under the eyes due to age allows the blood vessels to show
through and look dark.

Other than the obvious solutions, such as drinking more water, I
received the following:

Eat two tablespoons of honey per day, try iron, topical Vitamin K creams
as well as probiotics.

Dick in CT