Date:
Tue, 22 Jul 1997 06:54:18 -0800

Janet wrote:

>our HMO is refusing to pay for my husband's Vitamin D (50,000 units a day)
>and Ferrous Sulfate...has anyone else encountered this type of problem?

I was going to send this privately, but decided that others would want to
know about this problem too.

I too was refused coverage by my HMO when I needed to continue taking my
Zantac in tablet form.  They wanted me to switch to capsules,  and it seems
that any medication which is in a capsule gives me terrible stomach aches.
(I checked and there is not gluten in the capsule)

Anyway, the way I finally got them to give me my medication in a form I
could take was to get letters from my  Doctor, my allergist, and the
company which makes the medication.  All confirmed that I was unable to
take the medication in capsule form, and requested the HMO to do what is
reasonable and customary as regards my health and my medication.

You have a bit of a battle ahead of you, but getting your Doctors to back
you up in writing will get them in gear.  Get your letters together and
then have your primary care physician submit them with his renewed request
for your husband's medications. ( Be sure you make copies of all letters
and documents)

Hope this helps,
Lynda
\*/\*/\*/ Lynda \*/ [log in to unmask] \*/ So. Calif.\*/\*/ _@v