Date:
Fri, 3 Jun 2011 12:28:33 -0700

    When I was manufacturing gluten-free products, I had a direct conversation with the lead chemist at Kelco, manufacturers of xanthan gum in San Diego. Their product was the “top of the line”, and as a manufacturer I paid a dollar an ounce for the product. Yes, in the United States xanthan gum is grown on corn syrup. In England it is grown on wheat syrup. The chemist claimed that after the gum is harvested the corn or wheat are gone. His suggestion was to use pectin if the corn is a concern.  Pectin is grown on syrup from fruit. It is used to thicken jams and jellies. On grocery shelves it is known as Sure Jell. I did try working with it, and it did keep the cookies from crumbling. If I recall it needed to be combined with a liquid before adding it as an ingredient. The directions are inside the box of Sure Jell. I don’t remember as to whether or not you add it after the jams are boiling or when the juice is cold. It is much less expensive that xanthan gum. If you bake from scratch, it is worth a try.
    Joan Wade – formerly president of Sylvan Border Farm g-f mixes.

*******
*******