From:
MJ Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
MJ Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Jul 2005 20:49:01 -0400

Sorry to have taken so long to post a summary. The original question was:
"Has anyone on the list baked GF bread looking like the bread in the photo
on the cover of Bette Hagman's "The Gluten-free Gourmet Bakes Bread"? The
bread I baked before CD/DH looked like that but nothing I've made since
has the same appearance.  I think it's impossible with gluten-free but I
hope I'm wrong.  I really enjoyed making bread in the old days especially
whole-grains but I'm getting used to gf breads now."

Many of the responses had to do with the process of baking bread and I
thought everyone would want to read them:

This bread is like real, and dosn't fall back:

Sandwich Bread
1 1/2 cups Brown Rice Flour
1 cup White Rice  Flour
1/3 cup Potato Starch
1/3 cup Cornstarch
1/3 cup Instant Dry  Milk
1/3 cup Whey Powder
2 Tablespoons Dark Brown Sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons  salt
4 1/2 teaspoons xanthan gum

2 large eggs
1 3/4 cups warm  water
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter, melted
2 1/4 teaspoons (1 packet) active  dry yeast

Makes 1 Loaf

1. In a medium mixing bowl, mix together  brown rice flour, white rice
flour,  potato starch, cornstarch, instant dry milk,  whey, dark brown
sugar, salt  and xanthan gum. Whisk to combine.
2. In a large  mixing bowl, whisk together eggs, warm water, melted butter
 and yeast.
3.  Add dry ingredients. Using a handheld or stand mixer, blend on low
speed  for 1  minute to thoroughly combine all ingredients.
4. Increase speed to high and  "knead" dough for 15 minutes.  5. Turn
dough into a 9 x 5 inch loaf pan.  Cover pan lightly with a piece of
plastic wrap and kitchen towel. Place pan in a  warm, draft-free location
and  allow to rise until double in size. 1 1/2 - 3  hours, depending on
room  temperature.
6. Preheat oven to 350ºF.
7. Remove  towel and plastic wrap from pan and bake for one hour or until
the  internal  temperature of the bread reaches 208º- 211º F.
8. Allow bread to cool in the  pan for 5 minutes and then turn bread out
onto  a wire rack to cool.
9. Store  in an airtight container or freeze. Do not refrigerate-this will
 make for soggy  bread.
The Secret Ingredient: Sweet Dairy Whey

The only bread I can bake that rises and tastes good is a pumpernickel
recipe.  Everything else falls flat including bread mixes.  I still   plan
to experiment with quinoa flour.  I haven't done that yet.  I do   not
like breads with white rice flour and so have basically gone   without.

Nope.  As an old-hand at regular bread making, I cannot say that I've made
a truly decent loaf of GF bread for my son since he was diagnosed five
years ago.  The closest I've come is using the mix Manna from Anna and
baking it in the oven (not my dedicated bread machine).

My bread doesn't look that good either. I have had a bit more  success
adding  1 or 2 teaspoons baking powder to Bette's recipes whether the
recipe  actually calls for it or not. The bread doesn't fall as badly when
taken  out of the oven.

As to the cover photo--I'm convinced it is stock art that the designer
found.

I was also an avid bread baker before CD (I had over 20 bread baking
cookbooks...actually I still have them in my attic because I couldn't part
with them, but I couldn't look at them either). I have Betty's bread book
too, but I have not had the experience of the beautiful looking bread
either. I don't bake nearly as much as a I used to though. It is not as
much fun and the nutritional value doesn't seem to be there.

Mine do not but then I found before I went GF some of my baking did not
quite look like the pictures either.  I find that I prefer the hamburger
buns  then the bread I have to  slice.  I put them in the refrigerator or
freezer and microwave them when I  take them out.  The microwaving makes
them taste  fresh.

The best GF loaf  bread I have yet made is Sara Nussbaum's Challah bread
- it includes potato flakes but I just used some potato starch.  The
recipe was on a website that has disappeared. This bread has the yeasty
taste of bread, and when fresh out of the oven it is quite good.  It
looks respectable. It does not get crunchy in the toaster, however with
quite a bit of marmalade its flavor is acceptable.  The recipe, or some
variation of it, appears on many lists.

I think if you glaze the surface of the bread with egg yolks, it will
brown and get shiny, and I suspect that the cover photos of bread are
"tarted" up with oil and such, to give them "star quality." All of the  GF
breads I have made have that hint of unfathomable blandness of rice
lurking in there somewhere.

I heard at our support group that the photo is actually of a gluten
bread...not gluten free.  It does keep one trying to make that perfect
loaf  though, doesn't it?  Frustrating.

Being a baker, cooking teacher and developer of The Ruby Range Mixes I
have never made a gf bread that looks like that either!  I always wonder
what was photographed for that cover!

my husband and i have problems with making bread but the last time we made
the bobs read mill from the package it was so pretty and like bread. we
made it in the oven instead of the bread machine that hates us. from
scratch yeah um not so good. for us at least. usually tasted pretty good
though.

I have had great success with a number of the Better Hagman recipes.
Lately I have been using the four-flour bread mix (p.42).  Here are the
details. (Some I picked up from Chef Richard Coppedge at the Culinary
Institute when I took his one-day gluten-free baking course.) All
ingredients are a room temperature.
 I beat the eggwhites separately until they are foamy, then add the yolks.
I use carbonated water.
 I use butter.
I add 2 tablespoons of ground flaxseeds, sunflower seeds and caraway seeds
to the dough while the mixer is running. I don't grease the pan, but use
parchment paper. I put the dough on the flat paper, and then put it in the
pan. I used to trim the sides of the paper, but that really isn't
necessary.  Once the dough is in the pan I sprinkle a generous amount of
Artisan bread topping (available from bakerscatalogue.com--item #1902) I
put a pot of boiling water on the bottom of the oven, and leave the dough,
covered, in the oven for 10 minutes (this comes from Karen Robertson's
fine COOKING GLUTEN-FREE).  Then I move it to a warm place to let it rise.
I set the oven for 425 degrees.  When the bread is ready to be put in the
oven I lower it to 400 and put inthe bread, folloinwg Hagman's
instrucitons. I use a thermometer so I can measure the internal
temperature.  When it has readhed 208 I turn the oven off, open it
slightly and leave the bread in for 5 more minutes.  Then I take it out
and let it cool on a rack.

Never could either, and I tried.  I don't think you're wrong.    I think
the cover is of wheat products because there is not one recipe in that
book for any of these breads.   You can sort of see the stretchy gluten in
that round bread on the cover, and you can't get that with a gluten-free
bread. I think the publisher was lazy and didn't want to bake breads so
they took photos of wheat ones.  In this case you really can't tell a book
by it's cover...   That's my experience at any rate.  I was a good bread
baker before going gluten-free, and I could make none of her recipes look
like those photos.

My nine-year-old grandson uses a bread machine to bake gluten-free bread
that looks like the cover picture.  It is the recipe from Red Star Yeast
using  brown and white rice flours.  There is a website for Red Star
Yeast.  Find the  gluten-free recipes.

No

I've been using that book for several years and, yes, some of my breads
look as good as those on the cover.  More often, I must admit, they
don't.   However, they taste great when fresh as well as toasted.

Cover the bread with foil if it begins to get too brown, you can also take
it out of the pan and turn in over to bake more evenly.  Bread is done
when inside temp reaches 175-185 degrees F.  You may get a better result
using these methods.  Good luck!

I appreciate all the responses.  Thank you.

Mary Jane

--
 MJ Thomas
 In the beautiful Finger Lakes Wine Country of New York State!