From:
Carol Guchek <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Carol Guchek <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Oct 2012 08:32:26 -0400

Here are the responses to my previous post about Weight Watchers. The other
2 parts will follow:

Weight Watchers is very doable on a gluten free diet. Once you know your
points goal per day, you just have to calculate the points by reading the
labels of all the foods you use.  Probably the most difficult realization is
that most g.f. baked foods do have a higher points value than the non g.f.
counterparts, which is probably why so many of us rapidly gain weight once
we start eating them!  W.W. is very slowly acknowledging that G.F. people
are doing the program, but don't expect to see many prepared W.W. foods that
are actually g.f.  I don't believe any are labeled as such, but there are
some products that are probably ok if you don't mind the fact that they are
prepared on the same equipment that prepares the gluten-containing foods.
As with any weight loss plan, you have to focus more on the naturally g.f.
foods - vegetables, fruits, proteins - and limit the high carb breads,
cookies, chips, etc.  The lowest points breads I have found are Energy
brand* Light Tapioca Bread, Rice & Flax bread (1 point per slice) and Energy
Tapioca hamburger buns (3 points per bun).  They are absolutely not the best
tasting products, - and not very nutritious (white rice & tapioca)  but I
will compromise on taste just to have the bread product more regularly with
a lower points value.  I find that once toasted, they are ok.  Other people
will prefer to stay with the best tasting, e.g. Udi's, which has a much
higher points value.  As with any weight loss plan, WW works best if you
plan your meals, prepare as much of it as possible and - track your points.

You eat whatever you want with WW.  You just keep track of the points.
However, be aware, the GF bread products are more points than ordinary
bread.  You can eat the foods you choose.  WW also has a frozen entrée and
several of them are GF.  They should be able to tell you which ones. but it
is easily found in the grocery stores and on the side indicates the points
for WW.

You can adapt the WW program to a GF diet easily as long as you eat at home
most of the time. It is  pretty much a point system with food groups.
However, WW answer is concerning.  I don't think you can expect much from
the program leaders as far as being nutritional experts.  They just know how
to sell and use the basic WW program.  It does work BUT you also have to
exercise vigorously several times a week.

Weight Watchers handed me a pamphlet about celiac when I started going to
meetings.  The pamphlet did not tell me anything I did not already know.  A
person diagnosed with Celiac can follow Weight Watchers.  The only downside
is that our gluten free products contain more fat and therefore will contain
more points.  For example, 2 slices of Weight Watchers bread is only two
points.  While the same two slices of bread, if gluten free, will be about 4
or 5 points.  Therefore, I am constantly using my flex points to make up the
difference between our gluten free carbs vs similar products that contain
gluten.   I am not able to use my flex points as often for "cheats" as are
nonceliacs that follow the same diet.  I would recommend trying it.

I have no knowledge about WW, so I will not comment on  them. When I was
diagnosed as Celiac, I felt sorry for myself that I could no longer eat
wheat.  So I started buying GF breads, cakes, etc.  And I started putting on
weight, just like you.  Finally, I decided to eliminate all of the GF
substitutes.  I switched to meals consisting of only protein (meat, fish),
vegetables (lettuce, tomatoes, etc.) and fruit.  My weight went back down.

Yes, you can do WW with a gluten Free diet. You have to check labels for
pts. There is a recipe builder on the ww site(members only) where you can
input a recipe you are making and it will tell you how many pts per serving.
Have you thought about finding a nutritionist though that knows about Celiac
and Gluten Free? More than likely your Dr will refer you to one.  I just
found one in my area and am working on getting her approved thorough
insurance so I can see her.

I have had great success with WW!  WW is VERY "GF friendly" nowadays.  I
wouldn't say that they go that much out of their way to make their own
recipes GF, but there is so much flexibility of choices, as well as ability
to enter in custom recipes and count the points -- really, I don't think it
could be much better.  They are certainly cognizant of GF members -- that's
evident.  There are even a lot of GF products (e.g., Udi's, Schar, etc.) in
the WW database. So, consider joining our GF weight loss listserv. We are
all on a variety of weight loss quests -- some are on WW, others on lo-carb,
others just low calories … and some still just floundering, looking for
answers: https://groups.google.com/group/Lean-n-Gluten-Free

It works perfectly well with a gf diet, not so well with a vegan diet
because it makes all veggies free.  You can eat mucho calories on a vegan
diet and use no points.  I've worked out how to make it work with a vegan
diet though. GF is no problem.  I put in the recipes for the breads I make
and worked out the points.  I was so horrified, that I stopped eating bread.

Take a look at the Joy Bauer weight loss program, on line. She is a
registered dietician, and her food plan can be easily adapted to  GF. Also,
Michelle Obama has a great site on the White House page to encourage
children to lose weight, but is also appropriate for anyone to use. It  is
an on line tracking system that calculates your calories, portions, taking
into consideration your daily walk. It is FREE ! Check it out. It’s called
"My Plate.Gov." Just Google it and you will see how good it is, and the
price is right!!

Carol in NJ