From:
Daniel Winters <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Aug 1998 16:42:23 +0100

Dear listmates,
Below is a lengthy summary re GF vitamins.  Thanks a million to everyone
for all the info.  Now I just have to decide which companies to contact.  I
have no financial interest in any of these companies.

Thanks,
Dan in Warsaw

Shoprite's brand of calcium is GF.  Confirmed by phone call to company.

Twinlab vitamins and Vitamin Shoppe's vitamins. They have a catalog and
they mail anywhere. They have a listing of their ingredients

This topic is is often discussed on the listserv and I collected one year of
comments from the archive below if you can click on this it may help you:
http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/CGI/wa.exe?S2=celiac&D=0&H=0&O=T&T=1&q=vitamins
&s=vitamins&f=&a=June+1997&b=June+1998

I happen to need to avoid corn, soy and dairy in addition to gluten. I take
Thompson Multi-vitamins and Calcium-Magnesium-Zinc supplements. They both
fill the multiple "free" needs that I have.  I get mine a my local green
grocer, but they are available from 'The Vitamin Shoppe' via the internet
at a good price.  www.vitaminshoppe.com.

I use Freeda Vitamins, INc.
(800) 777-3737.  They give a 20% discount from catalog price.
They are also corn and dairy free, as well as free of
preservatives, sugar, yeast, salt, sulfites, artificial flaoring or
coloring, gelatin, and aluminum.

My doctor insisted on calcium also, specifically Citracal wtih Vitamin D.

I am writing from  Montreal,Canada. My source of GF Vitamins is:
C E Jamieson & Company Ltd. ,
Toronto, Ontario, M4V 1L5.
They have a full range of  products from Multi-Vitamins thru mineral and
herbal  supplements. To the best of my knowledge, all are GF!

Good gluten free vitamins are "Solray".  I take their calcium supplements
and their multivitamin.  I get them at my local health food store (Akin's
in Southwest). Read the label, good for many sensitivities.

I use the following vitamins: Ester-C by Natrol, Multi Vitamin from Twin
Labs, B-12 and B Complex from Source Natural.

The Gluten Free Pantry has Gf vitamins and supplements as well as foods
and mixes. Their number is 860-633-3826 or check their website at
www.glutenfree.com.

Whatever your doctor told you to take, try L-glutamine too--it's an
amino acid.

Nature's Life or Solgar are very good vitamin companies.  I believe they
label their vitamins very well when they are gluten free.  Some of their
items may not be gluten free.

Solgar Vitamins (available in health food stores only in Us) are
gluten-free.

Also Freed Vitamins which are gf can be ordered from their mail order house
only.
Call 1-800-777-3737.

About Calcium.  Write to the Calciun Information Center
 1-800-321-2681 FOR AN EXCELLENT ARTICLE ON CALCIUM.

Here are the names of calcium supplements that are gf - taken from the
Stokes
Pharmacy List:
Caltrate 600 High Potency
Cal;trate 600 High Potency plus D
Caltrate Plus
Caltrate Plus Nutrient Enriched, Spearmint
Ciotracal
Citracal plus D
Citracal Liquitab
Citron
Florical
Freeda Fem Cal
Freeda Super Cal/Meg
Freeda Cal-carbonate
Freeda Mal/Cal Mega
Freeda Parvacal 500
Hudson Oyster Calcium 500
Hudson Oyster Calcium 500 plus D
Nephro=Calci
Oystercal 500
OystercaL D 250-
Posture
Posture D
Tums 500; Ass. Fruit or Peppermint

Sokes Pharmacy has a web site:
http://www.stokesrx.com.

NatureMade Essential Balance is a GF multi-vitamin (made in CA, USA) and
Citracal is GF calcium citrate (Mission Pharmaceuticals, USA).

"Nature Made" brand of GF vitamins (including Calcium).  They state on the
bottle itself:  "No chemical solvents, yeast, starch or gluten".  You can
call them at 1-800-276-2878.  The company is located in California.  Their
customer service representatives are very nice and helpful.

I myself use Nutrilite vitamins.  These are a prodoct of Amway Corporation
and should be available in many countries.  They do have a short list of
products that have Gluten in them (Garlic & Licorice, Parselenium E,
Professor Alpha's Natural Chewable C, and Daily Multivitamin and Mineral
Supplement) However, they have a better multivitamin called Double X which
is gluten free, and they have a Cal Mag Plus product which contains 650 mg
calcium and 325 mg magnesium and is gluten free.  (I just called them last
week to varify which products remain gluten free.)