From:
Jerri Clapper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Nov 1999 20:05:44 EST

I've had some requests for this and it is the right time of year.

PORTUGUESE STONE SOUP

This main-course soup is ideal for winter.  It originated in Portugala's
Ribatejo province, famed for its horses, bulls, and bullfighters.  The soup
gets its name from the kidney beans, which are referred to as "stones" by the
Portuguese.

8 cps chicken stock or canned low-salt broth
         I use 4 cps homemade and 4 cps water.
1 lb. Kielbasa sausage or Spanish chorizo*, diced
2 15 oz. cans kidney beans, drained
         I use the fancy dark red
1 lb potatoes, non-russet, peeled, diced
1 14 oz. can tomatoes, diced
1 medium head cabbage, savoy or regular,

   coarsely chopped
1 lb turnips, peeled and diced
2 leeks (white and light green only), chopped
2 large carrots, diced
1 medium onion, diced
3-4 garlic cloves, diced
1-2 bay leaves

Combine all ingredients in a large pot, at least 6 - 8 quart.  Bring to a
boil.

Reduce heat and simmer until soup is thick, stirring every 20+ minutes,
for 2 hours.  Season to taste with fresh ground black pepper, and salt.

Remove bay leaves before serving.

Serves 8, at least, as a main meal.

*Spanish chorizo is a smoked pork sausage flavored with garlic and spices,
and milder than Mexican chorizo.  Available at specialty and ethnic markets.

Everything should just be cut about bite size.  The original recipe calls for
1 can of kidney beans but it just didn't look like enough to me so
I doubled it.

I also just use the regular, I think Eckridge Farms, kielbasa.  I do not add
any salt.  I find that the fresh ground pepper, and the seasoning from the
kielbasa, takes care of all seasoning.

Enjoy.