From:
Diane Martin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Diane Martin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Jan 2006 18:33:10 -0500

To Whom it may Concern:  I don't like to talk about what happened to me about 5 weeks after going gluten-free because I almost got killed.  I had just read that blood sugars would be easier to control once the gluten started getting out of your system.  I have been a Type I Diabetic since I was 15; I am now 50, and very tightly controlled both as a Diabetic and as a Celiac.  I jog--every morning.  On June 15, 2004, I got up, jogged, showered, put on makeup, got dressed, and was ready to face my day, when abruptly, I passed out--right into a large bathtub.  I was too passed out to get out easily.  I started struggling to get out, and without knowing it, turned on the hot water.  I could tell I was in pain, but could not get out.  I started praying.  I am a Christian.  I told God I needed His help--that I couldn't do this on my own.  The next thing I knew, I was out--burned, but out.  My face was fine; my legs were fine; my back had 1st, 2nd, and 3rd-degree burns on it, as well as the backs of my upper arms.  I called the paremedics, who kept me on the phone while I changed clothes and drank gluten-free juice and ate gluten-free marshmallows to get my blood sugar up.  (After 35 years of being diabetic, I certainly know how to do that.)  I spent 17 days in the burn unit of a specialized hospital struggling to keep everything gluten-free--it was a challenge at first; they had never experienced a Celiac to cook for before.  It went fine.  I had to have skin-graft surgery.  Donor skin came from my legs and went onto my back and arms.  Donor sites are like new burns--they are THE most painful experience you can have.  Hydrotheraphy was a nightmare all its own.  Morphine and I became very good friends for a while.  I didn't want to move, things hurt so bad.  It is now 1 1/2 years later.  I am still in compression suits to cut down on the scarring.  I also belong to a wonderful Burn Survivors' Group on the internet.  I am fine--scarred, but fine now.  This is something I will have to live with everyday for the rest of my life, just because I went gluten-free so well that blood sugars dropped out of site.
Let me tell you, Ms. Tross, of whatever your name is, that this is nothing to make jokes about.  I think I have been Celiac most of my life without any doctor knowing how to diagnose me, and I have lived in five states during my 50 years.  Eating out is troublesome, traveling is troublesome, going to parties is troublesome, just going to Sunday School is troublesome because they alway have snacks--which most I cannot touch.  Why don't you come and walk behind me for a week and see what a Celiac/Diabetic has to go through just to stay fit and alive.  I don't think you would EVER crack a rude comment like you did in print again.  Ignorance is bliss.
Sincerely,                    Diane Martin