From:
Judy and Mike Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Nov 1996 21:46:19 GMT

I have already searched the Celiac archives for posts on bread machines but
still have some questions.  I am looking in to buying either a Welbilt 4800
or Redstar which is under the name Magic Chef bread machine.  I am really
paronoid as I have a Hitachi which cost me $130 and does not do a very good
job with gluten free flours.  I can buy the Welbilt for $92 and could get
the Magic Chef (Redstar) the day after Thanksgiving at Walmart for $75.  I
have not seen the Magic Chef machine.  I am willing to pay the $99 if
Welbilt is a better machine.

Can anybody till me if one machine is better than the other?

I called the Welbilt 800 number and was told that it depended on the gluten
free bread recipe as far as which cycle to use.  Why?

The Welbilt manual says to use the dough cycle and when it is finished to
push the bake button.  The dough cycle has one 20 min kneading and two 30
min risings and a 4 sec. punch down between the risings and the bake is for
50 min.  The rapid cycle has a 14 min. kneading, one 33 min. rising and a 43
min bake.  There is no punch down.  Why couldn't the rapid cycle be used for
gluten free breads?

What cycle do you use on the Magic Chef (Redstar)?  How many risings and how
many min is each step?

The Welbilt manual instructions says to mix the dry ingredients and then add
them to the wet ingredients in the bread pan.  Do you have to pre mix the
dry ingredients with the Magic Chef (Redstar)?

How automatic are either of these machines with gluten free flours?  Do
either of them or both take a lot of assistance and watching?

The Welbilt machine does 1, 1 1/2 and 2 lb. loafs.  What size loaf does the
Magic Chef (Redstar) do?

Has anybody used amaranth or quinoa flours in either of these bread
machines?  If so how did they work?

Has anybody done whole wheat bread in either of these machines?  How did it
turn out?

Does the Magic Chef (Redstar) have a delayed timer?  I realize you can not
use the delayed timer with gluten free flours.  Not everyone in my family
has to have gluten free breads.

Judy Smith
Kent, WA (SE of Seattle)