From:
"Sarah W. Stokes" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Nov 1996 13:27:13 -0500

I've had two recent breadmaking attempts fail in several respects, and I'm
curious as to why. Here's the main problem:
        With two different recipes, both using rice, potato starch, and
tapioca flours ( as well as other ingredients), the finished product has
turned out almost as if it was uncooked in the center. The outsides have
appeared done both times, and both times a knife inserted into the center of
the loaf came out dry. One of these was a yeast bread and the other was not.
The non-yeast bread ended up with an almost cakelike texture after being put
in the oven again, but the yeast bread did not change at all with a second
heating time. Again, the outside was done and I couldn't have baked it any
longer without burning the outside. Both loaves were cooked in a standard
size (about 5 by 9 inches, I think) loaf pan. I was just wondering if anyone
had any suggestions as to how I might get more "breadlike" bread! (= Thanks
in advance.

Sarah

Sarah W. "Friday" Stokes (=
The College of William and Mary