Date:
Sun, 11 Jul 2004 18:39:07 -0500

Hi,

I am taking a trip to Portland, Oregon. Can anyone recommend restaurants in
Portland? My son and I both have celiac disease. My son is also allergic to
soy. I am allergic to peanuts, soy, shrimp, and egg whites and am mildly
lactose intolerant.

We will be staying with relatives who do not have celiac disease. I am
nervous about eating their food. I don't want to offend them. But I also do
not want either my son or myself to get sick. My son and I are on a gluten
free diet. Does anyone have advice about how to broach the subject of celiac
dietary restrictions with relatives? One of my relatives has Crohns disease,
but he is not all that careful with his diet and does not understand how an
exposure to gluten can make someone with celiac sick for a long time.

I will post a summary of any advice I receive. Thanks for the help,

Alicia