From:
Brian Cawley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Jun 2000 13:57:41 -0700

My question was:  is it possible to make Soba noodles from rice flour?
And the twelve responses I received said no.  Soba noodles can be from
100% buckwheat, or combination of wheat and buckwheat so it is
always wise to read the labels, however when eating out it might be better
to err on the side of caution.  Gwynneth says that Eden Foods carries the
100% buckwheat noodles.  I believe they are about $11 per pound

On the question of buckwheat Kemp says:

> The jury that counts is not out.  Buckwheat without contamination is
> absolutely celiac safe. Largest supplier in this country also grows wheat
> but has two dedicated mills, one for each. Flour, if that's your product,
> is shipped out in fifty pound bags to other suppliers or sold directly to
> consumers in smaller portions. Botanically, the plant family of buckwheat
> diverged from that of grasses (wheat, corn, rice, etc.) 100 million year
> ago before any celiac toxic part had developed, indeed before any of the
> grasses had developed. Completely different plant genetics, hence
> molecules in wheat and buckwheat.
>
> Some have an allergy (intolerance) to buckwkeat, but that's not CD.

Thanks to all who responded.

Valerie, California