From:
"Peter V. Hanks" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Peter V. Hanks
Date:
Wed, 19 Nov 2003 15:14:49 -0500

Original Post

>I had some dental work done (gums) and they pumped me full of
>Novocaine.
>
>Since having this gum work done, I have had a number of "stingers" and
>numbness in various parts of my body.  These started shortly after the
>dental work  and have lasted as long as 5 minutes right after the
>dental work to 1 minute in the last couple of days.  I have also
>started to have occasional blurred vision that last from 2 to 5
>minutes.
>
>Stinger:  numbness or  "funny bone" tingling in the shoulder, neck ,
>gluteus/hamstring or quadratus areas two to five times a day.
>
>Blurred vision: Areas of blurred vision but not the whole eye lasting
>2 to 5 minutes two to five times a day.

Answer:  Typical side effect in older adults.  See below

Periodontal surgery
For the Periodontal surgery the anesthetic used was:  Lidocaine 2% with epinephrine 1:50,000 concentration    Total carpules used 7-8
·       This is an Anesthetic (mucosal-local)-- Benzocaine; Benzocaine and Menthol; Benzocaine and Phenol; Dyclonine; Lidocaine
Side Effects of This Medicine
Along with its needed effects, a medicine may cause some unwanted effects.
·       Less common
o       Large swellings that look like hives on skin or in mouth or throat
·       Signs and symptoms of too much medicine being absorbed by the body
o       Blurred or double vision; confusion ; convulsions (seizures); dizziness or lightheadedness; drowsiness; feeling hot, cold, or numb; headache ; increased sweating; ringing or buzzing in the ears; shivering or trembling; slow or irregular heartbeat; troubled breathing; unusual anxiety, excitement, nervousness, or restlessness; unusual paleness; unusual tiredness or weakness

·       Less common
o       Burning, stinging, swelling, or tenderness not present before treatment; skin rash, redness, itching, or hives in or around the mouth

Older adults  Elderly people are especially sensitive to the effects of many local anesthetics. This may increase the chance of side effects during treatment, especially with lidocaine.

So I had the "Burning, stinging, swelling, or tenderness not present before treatment;".
Although I realize that Novocaine injections are GF so it's not a celiac problem. I thought it might be a autoimmune type problem, since our systems are obviously hyper in some areas. The symptoms  gradually went away in about two weeks. I took plenty of amoxiccillin to ward off bacteria getting into the blood and causing heart problems.  I found most of the relevant info by going to Google and putting in "Lidocaine".
Thanks to all who responded.  Best wishes,  Peter