From:
JOHN P. KASSIS <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Nov 1999 09:12:45 -0000

I am writing to the list to hopefully get some answers about my 6 year
old celiac daughter's geographic tongue.

I searched the archives and found some discussion regarding this issue
back in 1997, but nothing since then.

My daughter Allison gets these red glossy irregular lesions on her
tongue on a pretty regular basis.  She has had them off and on since she
was a baby.  The doctors (3 of them) all called it "geographic tongue"
and said there is nothing to treat it with and that some people just
have it for no particular reason.  When she was a baby they told me that
it probably was not painful for her.  Now that she is 6, she can tell me
how painful it is.  She cannot eat many foods when she is having an
occurrence.

I have always thought that there was some sort of vitamin deficiency
causing this and after she was diagnosed with celiac a year ago, I
thought perhaps the celiac disease may have been the cause all along.

Does anyone else experience this geographic tongue?  From reading the
archives, the celiacs who had this, experienced it when they had been
exposed to gluten.  So, could it be possible that she has been exposed
to some gluten somehow when she gets this?

Also, as important, does anyone know of anything that I can give her or
put on her tongue to heal it or reduce the pain.

I would appreciate any input you can give me.  I will summarize.

Thank you.

Beth
El Dorado Hills, CA