From:
George & Gayle Kennedy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Jun 1998 13:28:22 -0400

On June 2nd, I wrote the following:

I have no trouble eating Granny Smith green apples, no problem with yellow
apples like Golden Delicious, but every time I eat an apple with a red skin
I have a gut reaction similar to a celiac reaction to gluten.  Does anyone
know the reason?

Here are the responses - and I've included repetitions just to show how the
thought patterns are going:

***
This is interesting and I hope someone answers you! Ben also eats only
Granny Smith apples, and I prefer them myself. I can eat Gala apples, but
don't really prefer them over GS apples. Hate red ones! They must put some
gunk on them, besides!
Anne Washburn

***
Could you let me know what you hear?  My daugter (not supposed to be a
celiac) has given up red apples because she says they give her
bellyaches.  But only the red ones do, not the green ones . . .
Debra Boutin

***
     I rarely eat fruit that doesn't need
     peeling, especially apples.  This is
     despite a love for all fruit.  The
     reason is the wax.  I've seen several
     references to the idea that the waxes
     applied to fruit can seal in not only
     the freshness but also insecticides
     and such.  Unless you wash the fruit
     in such a way that the wax is removed
     along with whatever has been trapped
     under it, the result can be consumption
     of trace amounts of insecticides, etc.
     Besides, these things can also be absorbed
     into the skins of the fruit.

     Have you tried peeling a red apple and
     just eating the inside?  If there is no
     reaction, it is obviously the skin.  It
     won't tell you why, but at least you will
     know what.

     Chuck

***
Gayle, this is not an answer, but an observation.  I prefer Granny Smith for
their crispness and tart flavor, but the fam likes red, so I buy both.  Side
by side you quickly notice the high sheen of the shellac on the red and the GS
green have no coating to make them shine.

Could be a clue!

Sandy Rieser

***
I have the same problem and haven't been able to figure it out.  I can eat a
red apple if I peel it though so it's gotta be something in the skin.  I'd be
interested in knowing what else you find out.

Joan
Lombard IL

***
Gayle, I have the same problem! With one exception. I seem to tolerate red
ORGANIC apples . I suspect some chemical they put on the red ones. You would
think they would use the same chemicals on all apples. Maybe  there is some
other difference? Debbie in SC

***
  It could be the acidity. Red apples apparently are very acidic
whereas green and yellow apples actually produce the opposite effect
in your body. They add to the alkalinity. Perhaps that is the
explanation. The latter is much better for you.

Betty S.

[Gayle's comment: Granny Smith apples taste more acidic than many red
apples - but I don't know if they really have a higher acid content...]

***
I don't have an answer but I have the same reaction basicly so let me know
if you find out.

Debbie Resch

***
I certainly would be curious to know what answers you get.  I have a
problem with apples (besides digestive) but I can't be sure whether all
varieties.

Bill

***
Hi all,
I don't know if this applies to every distributor but I was told that some
red apples are injected with dye to make the skins a deep red (red
delicious are the ones I buy). I noticed I was getting sick after eating
them and not after green apples. I am highly allergic to a lot of dyes and
when they put red/orange dyes in colas I get sick from those. I haven't
followed up about the apples I get here in Vancouver, BC and yours are
probably different. I posted this to the list rather than the poster as
I'm wondering if anybody else knows or has info on this. I heard it from a
friend so i'm not sure it's reliable info. I just know that red apples
make me sick! (headaches and upset stomach).

goalie

***
My sister is very symptomatic of celiac sprue with a few additions: she is
ultra-allergic to (flowers) roses in particular and has real problems eating
apples and coincidentally apricots. In all my reading, I came across trivial
information that indicates apples and apricots are related to roses!!! Go
figure. It's weird, but with our systems, it seems weird pretty much says it
all.

Glenda

***
I am not sure of the answer but red grapes versus green
grapes have the same effect on my sister.  She can eat green
grapes and green apples but not red grapes and red apples.
It is in the skin.  If she removes the skin it is ok.

--
Richard

***
I am reaching for a answer here. Could it be the ingredients in the wax
coating found on some apples?

Lucy

***
I don't have a conclusive answer; only a theory. Just yesterday I learned
from another list member that apples contain phenolsulphurtransferase.
Those missing this digestive enzyme have difficulty with apples and other
foods in this category (don't know what those other foods are yet, and an
Internet search didn't reveal a thing).  Do you have an allergy to sulfa
antibiotics or injections?  If so, you could be mising this enzyme.  I need
to learn more about phenols, but I thought this preliminary info might be
of some assistance.

Sharon
[The answer to Sharon's question is, 'No, I'm not allergic to sulfa."-- Gayle]

***
You might look at the difference in phenol content between red and other
apples. I react to all apples, but I believe that there are more phenols in
the red ones.

Many celiacs (and autists) are deficient in PST enzymes which are necessary
to digestion of phenols. You should have difficulty with nitrites and
nitrates too.

PST stands for something like phenolsulfurtransferase

I'm appending a relevant abstract below.

Ron
[If you want that abstract, contact me. - Gayle]

***
Many apples are glazed with either a parafin (sp?) wax or a vegetable
glaze which make them nice and shiny and  prevent their drying out or
bruising as easily.  I would bet that the glaze is the same kind of stuff
(vegetable sterin ??) they glaze vitamin pills and candy with. I
certainly react to the stuff, but I am corn sensitive as well as gluten
sensitive.  I try to carefully avoid fruits and veggies which I think
might be glazed or otherwise treated.
Katie

***