From:
Michael Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Mar 1997 13:11:42 GMT

The following post was sent to the List by a new subscriber.  Since it
has the potential for a direct business relationship by the poster, I
am sending it along to the List for information.

Please direct all comments directly to "Brian W. Hatt"

This is all that I know about the concept.

----
Michael Jones ([log in to unmask]) Orlando, FL USA
One of the Celiac & Cel-Kids Listowners
Visit the Celiac WEB site at:
http://rdz.stjohns.edu/library/medic/celiac/index.html

~~~~~~~~

A professor at the University of Utah is working on a technology that
could provide a consumer with a simple and inexpensive way to detect
substances in foods.

I am working with him to find out possible uses for this technology and
hence develop a market strategy.

One product concept is a small paper strip that someone with a food
allergy or sensitivity could use to find out whether a particular
compound is present in the food.  It would also provide an estimate of
the amount of the substance that is present.

For example, if someone had lactose intolerance and wanted to find out
if a food contained lactose, he or she would dip the paper strip into it
and, after a few minutes, the paper would indicate the approximate level
of lactose.

In principle, tests could be developed for a very wide range of
substances.  The first test kits would probably be for the measurement
opf carbohydrates such as lactose; gluten is a possibility at a later date.

The question is: "Would this type of product be useful to anyone?"
Therefore, I am writing to members of the Celiac Discussion Group to get
some direct feedback so that the professor can focus his research in the
most useful direction.  It is unlikely that a product would be available
for a couple of years, but it is never too early to talk to the customer.
If a suitable application and market can be identified, he will likely
license a company to produce and sell the product.

I would appreciate it if you could spend a few minutes to give me some
feedback as I know little about how someone with such a food sensitivity
would view thisconcept.

The questions include:

1.   "Is there a need for an easy, inexpensive way to detect and measure
approximately substances in food that cause sensitivity?"

2.   "For what substances should kits be developed?  For example: Lactose
?  Galactose?  Gluten?   Others?"

3.   "How often would a person use such a test?  Would it just be used
when eating out"

Perhaps you have other comments or ideas.

Please let me know if I can e-mail you with any other queries - I won't
bug you if you don't want to participate any further.

Thank you for your time.

Brian W. Hatt, Ph.D.
President
Ideas To Products, Inc.