Date:
Tue, 11 Oct 2005 18:20:02 -0500

I received several responses to my inquiry. I have just returned from my
trip and will summarize the responses and my own observations.

------

Response 1
We were staying in Kona and ate several meals at the Hard Rock
Cafe....sitting outside on the balcony was very nice.  There is also an
Outback Steakhouse in Kona.  There is a big new Safeway and a health
food store just next to it with a full stock of GF goods.  We also had
dinner at the Volcano House overlooking the volcano crater.

Response 2
I don't know about the big Island, but the best advice I received about
traveling to Hawaii (celiac or not) is this:  pack an extra bag with all
sorts of food staples because food is expensive there.  If you are
staying where there is a kitchen, pack coffee, coffee filters, dry
cereals, crackers, snacks like microwave popcorn, candybars etc.  If
there is a washer and dryer, pack some detergent and dryer sheets.

------

There is a Walmart next to the Safeway in Kona that has a limited supply
of food.  There is also a health food store next to Safeway, but I did
not go there.  I brought along the GF staples I needed.

Go shopping at Walmart first and buy whatever you need there, if they
have it.  We went to Walmart and were shocked at the price of food (Milk
was close to $5/gallon).  I figured we should check out Safeway prices,
but when we got there, prices were much higher (Milk around
$6.50/gallon).  There is also a BigK and a Costco in Kona but I did not
check out prices there.

We did not eat out on the trip.  My husband is not GF and ate 2 fast
food meals. The rest of his meals consisted of oatmeal for breakfast
(made with hot water from the coffee maker in the room) and sandwiches.
I brought along some food for me,  Lipton rice cups, crackers, candy
bars, and Mrs Leepers stroganoff.  On the Island,  I bought Fruity
Pebbles for breakfast, milk, cheese, fruit and canned meats.  We stayed
at a hotel for 4 nights and a cabin with a microwave for 3 nights so the
rice cups were very handy to have.

If you go to Hawaii, take your Costco card.  Gas prices in Kona were
$3.60/gal.  At the Costco in Kona, gas was $3.20/gal.

We had a marvelous trip.  By bringing and buying my own food, we saved
alot of money by not eating out.  I didn't have to worry about gluten,
and we had more time in the hot tub, resting on the beach and snorkling.

Thank you for your help
Diane