From:
A S Levario <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
A S Levario <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Mar 2004 22:40:26 -0600

It is no secret here in Washington, DC that the grassroots make the
biggest impact.  As the celiac community pushes for improved food
labels, there is no better example of this, than a group from Dallas
(ok, the suburbs), Texas.   Led by David Kline, the group contacted us
early, and often, with the query, "What can we do?"  followed by, "but,
what ELSE can we do?"

Heeding our words, they have had meetings in Texas with lawmakers'
staff.  They have coordinated conference calls to key health staffers
in Washington, DC.

Then the word came a Texan would be taking over the Chairmanship of the
House Energy and Commerce Committee.  The Committee responsible for
deciding whether food labeling bills get to move forward.  Within hours
emails flew -- who do we meet with, what should we say?

The ACTF is doing everything possible to answer questions, and meet
with staff and legislators in Washington.

With 435 members in the House of Representatives, we need more support
groups to follow the lead of the Texas celiacs.

American Celiac Task Force
www.celiaccenter.org/taskforce.asp