From:
Julie Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Jun 1995 09:20:44 -0700

I've had a similar experience to Linda's. I joined this list to
learn about the relationship between ADD and celiac. (My son has
ADHD and had a "wheat allergy" when he was a toddler. My brother was
a diagnosed "celiac baby.")

I, however, have been suffering with GI problems for a year and
was diagnosed with IBS. My doctor gently refused to do the celiac
diagnostic routine for me, but suggested that I try a GF diet.
She probably thinks I'm a nut.

I've been on a GF diet for 3 weeks now and my symptoms have cleared
right up. I had one episode last weekend that I now believe was
caused by some unsuspected source of wheat. I plan to try a deliberate
challenge this weekend, but am reluctant to go off the diet
because of the very painful consequences.

A few months ago, I eliminated dairy. I was mad about that! The GF
diet worried me a bit, but I feel so much better that I'm not
mad about this. And, it turns out, dairy isn't the problem after all!

So far, I haven't felt too deprived, and another benefit is that
I think I'm losing some weight! I've stuggled for many years with a
compulsive eating disorder. On the GF diet, I'm not having cravings,
and I'm not as hungry. My emotional health is better, too, which
helps improve my compulsive eating. I've taken antidepressants off
and on for years. I'm taking Paxcil right now.

Maybe all my improvements, particularly the emotional ones, are
psychological, but there is no denying the physical improvement.
I've had diarreah for about 8 months following a lifetime of
constipation. Since I went on the GF diet, I've had 2 episodes:
one the day after I started the diet and the one last weekend.

I relate to your feelings of anger, Linda. Will you be pursuing
a medical diagnosis? I'm thinking that I'd like to know whether
I'm "gluten-sensitive" or if I have celiac disease, but my doctor
is reluctant to refer me for the diagnostic procedure.

I'm also a little concerned that my improvements are psychosomatic,
induced by reading this list, and that the GF diet isn't really
helping at all. However, at this point, I welcome any improvement
regardless of the cause - placebo or not!

Thanks for opening the topic, Linda. The joke's on me, too.

        "Here's the joke of a lifetime: Why is celiac disease
        like insanity? It's genetic: you get it from your kids."

Best regards to all,
Julie