From:
Karen Monastra <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Karen Monastra <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Jan 2003 00:18:09 -0500

I just returned from a wonderful cruise on the Carnival Pride.  This was my fifth Carnival cruise, and by far the best from a gluten free perspective.  A month before departing I contacted Carnival about my dietary concerns.  They sent me a form to complete and return.  My first night on the Pride the hostess (Suci) came to my table and told me which menu items were gluten free.  Later, she returned with the full menu for the next night.  She did this every night of the cruise. Suci said that with a day's notice they could make almost anything on the menu gluten free, including pasta!  I had such a wonderful week of dinners.  Everything from prime rib, lobster, caesar salad, french onion soup, cream of broccoli soup, and a jerk pork loin.  The waiter even took the time to assure me that the sauce for the pork loin had been cooked in a separate pan!  And for dessert - gluten free cheese cake, carmelized bananas and - get this - the world's best chocolate melting cake!  I quit experimenting with desserts after discovering this and ate it every night.  My daughter sampled it and thought it was better than the regular melting cake.  I ate breakfast and lunch at the buffet (individually made omelets, and "bunless burgers", fries, salads).  Everyone was so kind and attentive to my needs. Now, as I said, this was my fifth Carnival cruise.  While the others worked out, this one brought gluten free dining to a completely new level.  I don't know if the cruise line has become more attentive to our needs or if this ship is unique.  But I can guarantee that if you sail on the Pride you will have a gluten free feast!