From:
Sara Nagy <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sara Nagy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Nov 2004 14:28:57 -0800

Friends....I made some of the best popovers tonight and have to share the "secret". I used Bette Hagman's Four Flour Blend which I use all the time....the recipe is in James Beard's Cookbook

1 cup Flour
2 eggs
1 cup milk
2 Tbls melted butter
1/2 teasp. salt
1 tsp. guar or zanthem gum
All ingredients at room temperature

Beat eggs until light and very aerated, add milk, flour, salt, xanthem gum and blend until thoroughly mixed

Pour into an 8 cup muffin tin that has been greased with butter (1 tsp per cup) and heated in a 450 oven for 1 minute or two

Bake at 450 (check your oven temp) for 20 minutes, turn down to 350 (check oven temp) and bake for 20 more minutes

For different tastes you could add parm cheese or herbs or whatever!

Enjoy!

The Secret is ....you have to have a really powerful mixer to beat the eggs, it REALLY makes a difference! I bought a new Hamilton Beach 225 watt mixer and was amazed at the difference!