From:
Claire Lazebnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Jul 1999 17:36:33 EDT

Since my son was diagnosed with Celiac Disease in October, I've only baked
gluten-free things.  Since I bake a lot, it's been a big change in my life,
and a constant challenge.  The treat I missed most was something called
"Breakfast Cookies" from a recipe I clipped out of the newspaper a couple of
years ago.  Since they consist mostly of whole wheat flour and oats, I
figured I had to say goodbye to them (at least until my son goes off to
college!).  Then I started reading the letters about Poha flakes as a
possible substitute for oats, and decided to give them a try.  Yesterday, I
modified my original Breakfast Cookies recipe, and made them GF.  I was
prepared for failure: instead, I made the best GF cookies I've made yet, and
a dead ringer for the originals.  They're chewy, dense, deliciously cinnamony
cookies, and our family will never be without them again!  Here's the recipe:

GF Breakfast Cookies

1 1/2 cups thin poha flakes (available from Miss Robens)
1 1/4 cups GF flour mix (a la Bette Hagman)
1/4 cup soy flour
1 cup dark brown sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon xanthan gum
1/2 cup butter, melted
1/2 cup buttermilk, or soured milk (milk mixed with 1/2 tablespoon GF vinegar)
1 cup diced dried fruit (I just use dried cranberries--no need to dice)
3/4 cup chocolate chips (or nuts, if you prefer)

Combine dry ingredients.  Add melted butter and mix until evenly distributed.

 Stir in buttermilk, then fruits and chips.   Drop by tablespoon onto greased
baking sheet and bake at 375 degrees until browned (about 12 minutes).

The recipe can be doubled.

The cookies freeze well--I actually like to eat them straight from the
freezer, when they're really chewy and dense.

Everyone agreed this version is virtually indistinguishable from the
original.  Enjoy!