From:
Debbie Collins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Jun 2001 16:23:22 -0400

My son is a junior at Union University in Jackson, Tennessee. The dorm
situation is one that is ideal for a celiac.  Each dorm is more like an
apartment: four private bedrooms, living room, bath and a KITCHEN!  He
eats in the room for breakfast and dinner and then eats in the cafeteria
for lunch.  They are a smaller (2000?) school and have been very kind in
assisting him. At lunch, they make him a chicken breast, slice of roast
beef or hamburger patty and then he makes a big salad and has fruit. He
buys Hellman's packets at our Kroger or Meijer here in Cincinnati and
keeps them stocked up at school.  He carries this in his backpack.  I've
put together some GF recipes that are simple for a college student, that
make big portions.  He cooks usually on Sat. or Sun. and eats of his
leftovers for dinner all week.  His favorite appliaces- crockpot,
blender, rice cooker (huge one from Costco) and small George Forman
grill.  He stores his food and appliances on a shelf that wraps around
the room and he can easily reach.  In the summer, we stock up on mass
quantities of the stuff he needs for ingredients, so he doesn't have to
think about that at school.  There is a Kroger in Jackson, which is so
good about giving you the GF status over the phone.  Also, a great
support group has started in which he can actually eat "treats" once a
month in Jackson.  All Celiacs should check out Union!