From:
Bill Elkus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Jan 1997 03:55:35 EDT

I need to correct an error from my post yesterday, in which I said:

>For those you of who are new to our List, there is an excellent
>discussion by the cel-pro experts on the maximum amount of gluten which
>can be consumed per day by a celiac without danger.  The bottom line is
>that there is no easy answer.  Many feel that 10 mg per day is safe,
>100 mg per day is not.  10 mg per day is about one-50th of a slice of
>bread, and remember that you may be picking up milligrams without
>realizing it in supposedly-GF foods via cross-contamination.

According to the calculations made with Don Kasarda in Nov 1995,
0.1 grams = 100 milligrams is about one-50th of a slice. Therefore,
10 milligrams is about one-500th of a slice of bread.   I am including a
full copy of that 1995 post below, as it has all the calculations, and it has
been a long time since it was posted.