From:
Kate Freeburg <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kate Freeburg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 May 2003 10:57:32 -0700

I just returned from a week long trip to Orlando.  I was at a conference
held at the Swan and Dolphin Hotel near Epcot.  I had talked to the
conference organizers before the conference and explained my dietary needs,
which were relayed to the banquet staff.  Everyone was very accomidating.  I
checked with the concierge. at the hotel and explained my dietary needs and
asked which resturant would best beable to accomidate me. They said any of
the resturants would be able to order in special items just let them know
what days I wanted to eat at which resturant and they would notify the
manager.  I choose to eat at the Coral Cafe at the Dolphin Hotel. The
manager Sue, showed me the list of items that could be ordered in and let me
choose. They ordered in 4 varieties of bread and also a gluten free flour
mix. I was able to have pancakes and french toast while I was there.  And
yes they cooked them in a seperate pan.  A group of us went out to dinner at
the Flying Fish on the Boardwalk.  The Chef Joe came out and went over the
menu and explained what was in each item and if it could be modified for my
diet.  He also said to have the waiter put ALERGY on the ticket, that way
they would change their gloves before preparing my meal.  I choose the
patotoe wrapped snapper - it was out of this world.  We also ate at Schula's
a high end steak house at the Dolphin, again the staff was very
accomidating.

If you know where you are staying call the concierge. desk before your visit
and explain the dietary needs the can arrange to have special items at the
restuarant when you arrive.

After the convference was over my husband and I stayed at a Homewood Suites
so we would be able to cook our own meals.  There are 2 Chamberlins Market &
Cafe in the Orlando Area, a great health food store. The one at 4960 E
Colonial Dr is right next to a PF Chang's which I understand has a gluten
free menu available.  There is also an Albertson's right there and I found
some great rice crackers (Asain Gourmet) there labled gluten free.