From:
Karen and Rich <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Karen and Rich <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Aug 2017 15:32:43 -0400

I wanted to share a recent restaurant experience for a restaurant in Bolton
Landing, NY near Lake George, NY. While visiting the area we decided to go
to Tavern on the Lake due to their GF menu.( I had located the restaurant
using FindMe GF) We figured with the busy summer season and one of the first
decent nights we've had this summer, going to a restaurant with a GF menu
would be a safer bet.

When we ordered our meal, my daughter asked for a hamburger and a side
salad. The server had asked her if she wanted the homemade chips with that,
(disclaimer on the menu states that they are not GF due to how they are

cooked) prior to ordering the salad. When the server asked that, the
confidence of my daughter was shaken and she asked if we could speak with a
manager. Within seconds the manager approached our table and my daughter
told her she had a couple questions about the prep and cooking of her meal.

The manager went on to explain that all meat was cooked on a flat top grill
next to bread being toasted.. she could not, would not guarantee that any of
our meal would be gluten free. At that moment, I spoke up and said, "could
you cook her hamburger in a separate pan on a stove top as opposed to the
griddle ? We understand that we are eating out and you can't guarantee
gluten free, but if you could help us by cooking it separately away from the
bread that would be helpful".. She replied with a flip response, "that due
to the way the kitchen was set up she couldn't do that."  I said, "you don't
have a stove top burner and a pan?".. I continued, and stated to the
manager, that I felt horrible for the person that had gone to considerable
effort to complete an extensive gluten free menu for their restaurant, only
to have those patrons that need gluten free, have cross contamination be
imminent due to how the kitchen was set up.

Every suggestion I had to help our situation, her response was "due to how
our kitchen is set up we can't help you.. we won't guarantee it's gluten
free."

While I understand NO restaurant can guarantee that something is gluten
free, my assumption has always been that if a restaurant would go to the
trouble of offering a gluten free menu, they might JUST be willing to help
out a 17 year old girl have a hamburger and side salad. We weren't asking
for an extravagant meal, just an opportunity to have a gluten free meal, in
a restaurant that had spectacular views, before my daughter heads out to
college. Apparently, I assumed wrong.

Additionally, they would not help my husband either with his peanut/tree nut
allergy- when he asked them to check the ingredients of the WRAP he had
ordered to ensure it wasn't made with cross contamination wherever they
sourced their bread from, they simply said, they couldn't help him. He has
anaphylaxis reaction to nuts/peanuts.

In 17 years, I have never had to walk out of a restaurant. I guess there is
a first time for everything.

I am attempting to contact the owner of the restaurant as I hope sharing my
family's experience will help things improve for the next gluten free/nut
allergy patron to walk in the door. I will not ever return.  I will also be
sending reviews to those websites that have a recommendation so that others
can make an informed decision before going to this restaurant.