From:
renee euler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
renee euler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Mar 2002 20:38:20 -0600

Thanks to everyone who responded to my request for Restaurants/health food
stores in San Fran and then down to Monterey/Carmel area!

*********************
A place that I LOVE is a wonderful a lively Mexican place in Pacific Grove
(a couple of minutes from Monterey--next town) is called Peppers. Great,
fresh food in a fun and colorful environment--but not overwhelming, like
Chevy's. They have all of the usual yummy Mex stuff, just order corn
tortillas and you're set. There's a Denney's on Munras Ave. that will make
things GF. Also Taco Bell on Alverado or Alverez, something like
that...anyway it's a major street as is Munras. Also the restaurants on the
Wharf have lots of seafood that you can get plain or broiled. There is a
Whole Foods Market in the Del Monte shopping center in Monterey where you
can get GF foods. There are several seafood restaurants on the wharf there
that can accomodate a GF meal. They are more adult oriented though. There
are lots of seafood restaurants along the Fisherman's Wharf and along
Cannery Row that are pretty safe if you order broiled seafood without any
sauces. There was also a good breakfast/lunch diner on, I think Alonzo Rd,
which is where all the locals hang out that will make a burger to your
specs. Angela
*************************
You can try Rainbow Grocery at 1745 Folsom St. (415-863-0621)- use Yahoo
maps. They have some GF cookies, cheap and expensive and GF cereals. They
are like Whole Foods but better because they're more hippie like, and
actually cheaper overall. You can also get some GF snacks at Trader Joe's
which has a GF pamplet you can get at the door at 3 Masonic Ave. (S.F.
415-346-9964), 555-9th (S.F.- 415-863-1292), and 64 Westlake
Mall(650-756-2192) in Daly City, CA, close to San Francisco.
Don't forget to check out Sterling Winery, nestled up in hill with tram,
Coppola Winery (Frances Ford Coppola-movie director) and the Town of Sonoma
up north as well is nice to visit for it's town square and shops, including
Sonoma cheese factory shop. Laura
****************************
There's a place called Nature Stop on Grant St. in North Beach -- close or
not so close to where you are, depending upon which part of Fisherman's
Wharf you're at. The Sheraton at Fisherman's Wharf, for
instance, is more or less at the foot of Powell Street. Going up Telegraph
Hill the Streets are Powell, (Columbus cuts through diagonally), Stockton,
Grant. Going across the hill the streets (short blocks) are Bay, Francisco,
Chestnut, Lombard....Filbert, Union, Green -- I may have left out one or
two. Nature Stop is about at Green Street - maybe just beyond. They have
Lundberg rice cakes, some fresh fruit, Pavel's plain yoghurt (wonderful
stuff), Pamela's cookies.
**************************************
I live in Ben Lomond, in the mountains near Santa Cruz. In Santa Cruz, there
is a Chinese restaurant (although it's really kind of California/Chinese,
and is really good) on Route 1 (Mission Blvd) called O'Mei. The wait staff
are almost always very knowledgeable about the menu, or they will ask. The
wok sea bass is very good, and GF. This is the kind of a place where the
wait staff already knows that soy sauce has wheat in it. There are also some
good Thai restaurants in Santa Cruz, and I have good luck with Thai - many
dishes are naturally GF. Thai House on Ocean and the King and I on Pacific
are very good, as is Star of Siam in Soquel. On the wharf in Santa Cruz,
Carniglias is a good bet. They make everything fresh, and it's delicious (a
bit expensive, but not too terrible - a $$ type of place), and the chefs are
knowledgeable. They don't use much in the way of processed foods, so that
makes it simpler to sort out the gluten. There are a number of good sushi
places, if you bring your own soy sauce. Paradise Sushi in Capitola is my
favorite. Santa Cruz is also crawling with great health food stores. New
Leaf is a local chain, and Staff of Life has a good variety of GF stuff.
And, of course, there's Trader Joes. One thing I have found in general
living here is that they are used to people with "weird" eating issues, so
they are very accommodating. I have had very few bad experiences at the
restaurants here. Have fun!! Laura
********************************
Hi, You shouldn't have trouble finding GF food in Carmel. In most places,
I've found that the focus is on fresh, simple cooking, and the staff is
helpful and knowledgeable. For casual dining, there's an Italian bistro
called Paolina's inside a shopping arcade downtown. They've been around
since the 1950's, and their food is delicious and very reasonably priced. I
was there earlier this week, and had the roast chicken with mashed potatoes
and roasted vegetables. It's served with a clear broth, instead of gravy.
They also have an assortment of salads, and an antipasto plate. I didn't ask
about the GF status of the ingredients (besides the broth), but it would be
worth calling them to check. Their number is (831) 624-5599. I have no
connection with this restaurant, except that I'm looking forward to stopping
there on my next trip to Carmel. :) Hope that helps, Eleanor
*********************************
We live in the Sacramento area, but have traveled to Monterey several times.
We found the Whole Foods Market. They have a bunch of gluten free items to
buy like gf waffles, etc. We took a gf toaster and other cooking-type things
so we could prepare our own gf meals when we needed to. I would guess that
Whole Foods could also give you detailed information on the delicious hot
deli foods they serve as well. I found them to be extremely helpful. Whole
Foods is in the Pacific Grove area of Monterey. Have a great trip! ~ jodie
in northern CA

Thanks again!
Renee
Oak Park, IL