From:
Solange Moon <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 20 Mar 2003 17:33:23 EST

Good afternoon to all,

It is miserable here in NYC today with lots of rain.  I hope everyone is
doing well.  I wanted to report that I had a dramatic gluten "infestation" as
I call it yesterday. I am very careful, but occasionally something slips in.
I was working and didn't think when I was very busy and a co-worker
volunteered to go get me some lunch.  I asked for a scoop of tuna and an
apple.  Well, as we all know, not all tuna is GF, but that was only the
start.  I use GF tuna at home, but outside you never know what you get.

Within an hour of eating it, I had a severe reaction.  We called the Deli
where the tuna came from and they said they buy the tuna ready made from a
wholesaler.  Turns out that they use extenders in commercial tuna which may
contain such ingredients as flour, bread crumbs, dehydrated veggies which may
be seasoned with broth containing gluten, and who knows what else.  How cheap
can they be?  Apart from Celiac, what about the unsuspecting dieter?

I've had a string of bad experiences over the past two months, so I am going
to stop eating out totally for the next three months to see if I improve.  I
just wanted to let everyone know that even tiny little slip-ups can lead to
disaster.  The result of my experience was rolling in pain on the floor,
headache,  and horrible gas.  24 hours later and I am starting to come out of
it.

Apart from all of this, does anyone know of a competent dermatologist in the
New York Metro area who has familiarity with Celiac rashes, up to and
including DH?

Love and peace,

Libby
NYC