From:
Saskia Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Aug 1999 00:33:26 EDT

Dear List,

To what extent is it possible to discern Celiac from a barium ingestion test?
I read somewhere that it was possible to detect areas of malabsorbtion with
an old test where they manually mixed the barium shake, but the new shake,
due to even distribution, does not reveal anything.  Is this true?  Is the
test mainly useful to detect other problems beyond or related--please respond
if your doctor used this in making a diagnosis.  (I am a tricky case--taking
a biopsy is impossible as my reaction to gluten is too strong to take a
challenge, and I've been gf for 5 months now--so my doc is taking many other
tests, this barium one included--I am not looking forward to  it!!!!)
Will summarize.

Many thanks,

Saskia in Seattle