From:
Margaret Steele <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Margaret Steele <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Jun 2003 11:13:34 +1000

Hi everyone,
I wonder if anyone has experience of itching being related to salicylate
intolerance.
My 4  1/2 year old grandson gets very itchy skin. It may come up like a
mosquito bite, and more recently on his hands as pinhead size white spots,
but usually the former, and his mother thought it was mosquito bites. He
would scratch  them and make break the skin which was difficult to heal
because he kept scratching. She used to put bandaids on to stop him
scratching. It started about a couple of years ago but has got very much
worse in the last few months. She has had  various creams from the Doc (who
also subscribed to the bites theory) both to help them heal and prevent
scratching of new ones. The spots are on his bottom mostly, and arms and
legs, they have been on the back of his hands, his back and on his tummy.
Recently she took him to a dermatologist who had the following blood tests
done, mentioning a rare form of reaction to gluten in wheat, but did not say
what. (I presume DH)
IS, FBE
E, U, C. CORR CALFT
ENDOMYSIAL  GLIA  GLIG
PEI
My daughter was told the results were all normal, the dermatologist had no
further suggestions except to buy the book Friendly Foods and try leaving
out salicylates. She did not suggest a follow up appointment.
I am salicylate, amine and dairy  intolerant as well as having CD so am able
to help her with the diet which she will try for a six week  period. She is
also keeping a food diary and noting when there are any new spots.
If there is no improvement she will try to get a referral to the
dermatologist at the Children's Hospital.
My grandson is otherwise a bright active 4 year old and has always been fed
a healthy no junk diet. There are three other children in the family who do
not show any problems. My daughter has had sensitive skin herself since she
was a teenager, is unable to use soap and uses rubber gloves  for all water
chores and to wash her hair. She has never used soap for her children.
We would appreciate any information/help.
Thanks
Margaret