From:
Monika Bradley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Aug 2000 00:29:52 EDT

A listmember wrote:
"It is my understanding that in food, if malt is used it is customary to
declare it as such and not to list it simply as natural flavor.  Still unless
I can find something authoritative to demonstrate otherwise, I suppose it is
possible that malt could be 'hidden' under the general declaration of natural
flavoring."

Here is an example of hidden malt in a label that just says "Natural
Flavoring":  The hickory smoke flavor of Genisoy Soy Nuts.  Had to call the
company on the natural flavoring and was told it contains gluten in the form
of barley malt.  Yes, we will have to continue questioning this one until all
companies further refine their labels!

Monika
Gig Harbor,WA