From:
Mildred Oberkotter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Mar 2000 15:53:30 -0500

Hi Listmembers, I asked about soy-free vitamin E.  Here are the ten
to those of you who have responded! I plan to show this memo to my
chiropractor/nutrionist who was at a loss as to sources for soy-free vit E.
...Mildie

-- Vitamin E from MotherNature.com.   Label says "....may contain soybean
oil...."

-- I am sensitive to soy too but vitamin E doesn't bother me at all.

-- There should be some from wheat germ, but that's no better!

-- (long response) From my own research, yes, most vit E caps are soy
derived. Wheat germ oil extraction is far more expensive than soy oil.  Soy
is GF, but if you have a soy sensitivity, you can try some of the following
foods.  They contain vit. E, and are soy free and GF:

Cold Pressed oils: make sure they are cold pressed, and not heat,
or chemically extracted.  Cold pressing protects the vit E content.
If you are using the oils for vit e., don't cook them.  Heat destroys
the vitamin!!  Flax seed oil is probably one of the best.  It has other
benefits as well:  very good for people with malabsorption problems.

Brown rice, corn meal, sea vegetables (kelp), liver, kidneys,
yams, kale, collard greens, dandelion greens, and most nuts
are excellent choices.

Try adding some of the following herbal teas to your diet.

Nettles:  also excellent for people with malabsorption trouble.
High in vit. e.

Red Raspberry Leaf: Delicious substitute for black tea.  Can be
used to treat diarrhea, too.  Higher in vit e than nettles.

You may also try adding freshly ground flax seeds to your morning
cereals, or over salads.  Flax seeds are high in vit e and are very good
for the digestive tract, and for inflammation in the joints.

-- TwinLabs Dry Vitamin E - also Dry Vitamin E from GNC.  I did e-mail
TwinLabs to ask about the E.  She said it is soy free, although they do get
it from soy, it should not have anything but the E in it.  I have been
taking it for two months now without any of my typical soy reactions, which
are visible within 24 hours.  There are numerous vitamin web sites that
carry the TwinLabs at 30-40% off list.  Another place that I just found was
vitacost.com (40%) everyday, and they screen their vitamins for quality.

-- The only E I can tolerate is Dry E made by Nature's Life. The label
says "100% Soy-Free d-Alpha Tocopheryl Succinate." There's no 800 # on
bottle, but the address is Nature's Life, Garden Grove, CA 92841. These
pills are expensive. I pay $19.95 for 100, 400-IU capsules at my local
health food store.

--Natural Factors distributed out of Everett, WA makes a Clear Base E400
softgel that contains soy, however, they have taken out the proteins that
cause soy sensitivities and allergies.  It is strictly the vit. E and
nothing else.  My homeopath/natureopath has me take a fish oil in which it
contains soy, but the allergy protein parts have been removed.  (This was
from a different company, however.  )I was skeptical at first, but after
being on this fish oil for a year, I can tell you that I have no problem
with soy reactions whatsoever. A health food store where I live said that
they had so many requests from people wanting to take Vit E, but couldn't
because of the soy content that they decided to research it and they came
up with the one by Natural Factors.  I have not checked this.

-- So many times people are sensitive to soy products because they have a
lack of potassium in their systems.  It would be worth a try to get some
extra potassium in your system and then after a month or so try some soy
again.  Also you might need a digestive enzyme to digest the soy.  If you
are a type A blood type soy is the most wonderful product you can consume
because it helps the body not get different types of cancers and heart
disease.  If you are a type B blood you don't want to eat soy very often
it just isn't the best choice of foods.  If you are a type O blood type it
is just okay but meat is a better choice.  If you are an AB blood tofu is
wonderful!

--Nature's Bounty (a major US brand) is lactose, and gluten free.  The
label is very clear as to what it does not contain:  I have not checked
on the soy component. Natural vitamin E from wheat germ oil is added as
an antioxidant in many products that might otherwise be wheat free.
Synthetic tocopherols may be less desirable but more palatable if wheat
free.

--Solgar in the US produces natural dry Vitamin E vegicaps, which don't
have soy.  The label says it's free of corn, yeast, wheat, soy and dairy
products and formulated without the use of preservatives, artificial
flavors or colors.  Solgar has a website.  Though you can't order directly
they are available in health food stores.I haven't tried these E vitamins
yet, but the other Solgar products I've used don't bother me, and I am
really sensitive.  Clearly the person you spoke to at Rainbow Light
Nutrional System was wrong about all vit E being derived from soy.