From:
Mary Anne Cripe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Jun 2001 00:15:43 -0400

I received several responses to my request for information on celiac
friendly restaurants or health food stores in the Belhaven and Outer
Banks area.

One person said there is a great restaurant near Manteo (just before the
bridge going to the Outer Banks on US-64) called the Lone Cedar.  It is
owned and operated by Marc Basnight, who is also the Speaker of the
House in the NC Senate.  She had eaten there pre-celiac days, and found
it to be a very warm and inviting atmosphere...family style.  She said
the staff visited the tables to see if you were happy etc., and bet that
if contacted ahead of time, they would be willing to help you out.

Another person who generally spends 1-2 weeks a year in Nags Head had a
lot of information for that area:

She said there are mostly Food Lion grocery stores but the Seamark down
around the Outer Banks Mall/outlet stores has more specialty stuff.  I
am just going to copy the rest of her notes because a couple of people
indicated that they would be going to Nags Head this summer and
particularly wanted this information.

I love Tortuga's Lie on the beach road in NH at ~the 12 mile marker.
Little hole in the wall local hangout with great seafood and sushi (!).
We had a killer grilled yellowtail with mango/chipotle salsa the first
week in May. They serve black beans and rice on the side. I have quizzed
every year re what's in there and have not found any problem
ingredients. Ask anyway again to be safe! Three CD'ers ate there w/o incident.

I love Penguin Isle for dinner. They even have Creme Brulee and occ
flourless triple desserts, choc mousse and usually strawberries or fruit
with real

whipped cream. The chef is great. His wife, Heidi, was quite pregnant
but may still be working. Ask for her and she's great help. It's at
about the 14-15 MP on the bypass on the sound side. Beautiful sunsets
and cloth tablecloths but people were dressed more casually this year
than I remember.

I like the restaurant that Awful Arther's opened in NH called Bad
Barracuda's.

It's about the 13 MP with access from both the beach road and bypass.
We ate there two nights and had the  specially priced before 7pm
fresh/steamed oysters and steamed shrimp (with Old Bay Seasoning)
(supposed to be GF). I asked for real butter which they had in the
kitchen. I also had the red potatoes. Three CD'er's ate there, too.

The Black Pelican and the Flying Fish Cafe are both farther north but
have been good at providing us with good meals. FFC is at ~9 MP on the
bypass. It is a bit more pricey (as is Penguin Isle) but the food is
good and the chef can make things any way you want it.

I am not sure how many of these serve GF lunch...I know Penguin Isle is
not open for lunch. Two/three of us with CD do not react with GI
symptoms.  The third one does and she did not have any problems at any
of these restaurants.

We took her to Penguin Isle for her Bday so she could have Creme Brulee
and Choc mousse!

We have also eaten at RV's as you come off the road to Manteo. It tends
to be a little more fries/hushpuppies/coleslaw but you can get seafood
cooked many different ways and a baked potato.

Oh-there is a new carry out place owned by some folks that have rest's
in Duck/Corolla. They do catering and carry out. It is somewhere around
the 9-10 MP so it's in may be Kill Devil??. I read a blurb about it and
saw a sample menu. They look like you could ask about ingredients and
get a good answer and some carryout lunch. It's a catchy trendy sounding
name...look for it in the freebie Guides and the sample menu things.
Sorry I can't remember the name.

(We did not make it to Nags Head because we had rain from a tropical
storm at the end of the week, but this is great information for next
time.)

We ended up eating at the Beef Barn in Greenville, North Carolina twice.
We had planned to go to Outback Steak House the second night, but the
Beef Barn was so accommodating we went back there a second time. Their
no smoking area was a long way from the smoking area and that was
especially important to us because we had an 8 month old baby with us.
I usually order salmon fillet or shrimp (when fresh shrimp is
available), baked potato or steamed vegetables, and a lettuce salad when
eating out.  (I have multiple food allergies in addition to celiac
disease, so I am very limited in what I can eat.)  We also ate at Harris
Seafood Restaurant at Lake Mattamuskeet.  The food was good, but they
did not have a no smoking dining area, so I would not eat there again.
We ate lunch at the Sanitary Fish Market the day we went to visit
friends at Morehead City.  It is a very casual family-style restaurant
that serves good seafood.

Hopes this helps those who were interested.

Mary Anne