From:
sandybill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Apr 2001 17:45:06 -0700

I asked the list about probiotics. I'd say from the returns that Natren is
the winner of the popular vote. I've included all  the replies, whether
they had good or bad results. Each paragraph below is a separate quote.

-vance

I use Natren's Trenev Trio which is dairy-free. It is a live capsule that
Natren sends 2nd Day Mail in a styrofoam container with ice packs. It is
around $119 for a 3-month supply. The website is www.natren.com.

I used to take Priobiotic 8 until Dr. Fine suggested Culturelle to my
son.  Culturelle costs about $20 for a 30 day supply at CVS. Priobiotic
8 you can buy discounted in any HFS. I got mine at the Vitamin Shoppe,
30% off.  Rosalie PS. I'm not sure it really helps or works??

I use a probiotics called perqdophulus - best on the market in my opinion and
the best for the price. I order from a place called Thinking of You (they
carry a whole line of everything-free vitamins) - the woman who owns this
business is the brother of serraimmune labs where I had my food allergy tests
done - they definitely work - if I take them daily I have no colds/sinus
infections. Call 1 800-806 8671. They are in WA

I was told about Probiotics by a Dr. and tried them. I found them to be
essentially no help for me. So I went to enzymes. I tried everything.
Nothing really helped. I even have a bunch of unopened bottles of Dygest
and Prepzymes you could have.
But the best combination I have found for me is Super enzymes from Twinlab
and EnzmAid from Kirkman. www.kirkmanlabs.com and superE from www.needs.com
. I take one of each with every meal. These are really good for me. They
eat gluten before it upsets ones stomach.

I don't know a lot about probiotics, but what I've been using is
Jarro-Dophilus + FOS. I found it at My Organic Market (refrigerated)for
about $10 for 100 capsules. It has 3.36 billion organisms, 210 mg. FOS, 1mg.
Vit. C. It is dairy free.

I used the dairy free powder by Natren. It is somewhat expensive, here
it's $25 bucks a bottle, and I was told by my Nutritionist to buy the
powder form (dont' have to worry about gluten in the capsules then) and
you take a teaspoon of the Acidophilus, and the Bifidus before meals.
There's always discussion about when to take them, but there are those
two kinds or you can buy the 'Trinity' mix which you can just buy that
one bottle and try then.

I get several brands.....GET THE BRAND THAT MUST BE REFRIGERATED...keeps
the little buggers active....

Solgar Multi-dophilus with FOS is GF, dairy-, corn-, and soy-free as well
-- I talked to the company and then rushed out and bought a bottle.
Unfortunately, it seems to **cause** diarrhea in my case. I am feeling
unlucky these days...

A naturopath told me to take between 5 and 30 billion twice a day, and
many only are 1 billion. The one I found (does not have to be
refridgerated either) is "Pro-Biotics Acidophilus" The company is
Nutrition Now, Inc. Vancouver, Wa. www.nutritionnow.com. I found it the
cheapest yet at GNC (General Nutrition Centers).

I have taken Natren's Healthy Trinity (Dairy Free and Gluten Free) for
some time. It comes in powder form or capsule. Their toll-free number is
(800) 992-3323.  If you become a "Health Club Member", you save 30%. Ask
for Connie Dupre, Consumer Direct Supervisor, at Ext. 132. Ninety caps
cost me $100.80 plus shipping but they're fresher than purchasing at the
health food store, I have found.