From:
Sueson Vess <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 15 Jul 2004 15:14:55 -0500

I wrote a few weeks ago on behalf of a fellow celiac member of my support group who does not have access to the internet. The responses were wonderful and overwhelming. Thank you to all who responded for the information and many prayers and good wishes. They are appreciated. Here is my summary:

I had a very early stage lumpectomy five years ago. There were no gluten-related problems until it came time to take tomoxafen. I had the same reaction to that drug as to gluten, though it contains no gluten. Even 1/4 tablet made me terribly ill. The GI guessed that the drug triggered an estrogen-like reaction in the intestine  Other than that, most of my problems had to do with juggling frequent water exercise in a chlorinated pool with the skin-drying effect of radiation therapy.  It turned out that the moisturizing cream recommended by the MD (Aquaphor) took care of the problem.  It is a bit like axle grease but it absorbs quickly and is very effective. I recall being very much helped by this list as problems arose: problems for us celiacs tend to be remarkably specific, so it is good to pose questions to a large number of people.  The person with whom I had the most in common was located in Australia. Good luck.  You have lots of company -- way too much company.

I am using Escador, viscum Albans injections by Weleda, from Germany, under a homeopath. I am going for my 3 month mammogram check up on the 30th June. Anyone used transfer factor? I have not (against medical advice) had the radical mastectomy.

I have noted that people who look to me like they have gluten trouble (I look for poor posture, pale skin, thyroid trouble) also are prone to female troubles.  I assumed this was due to gluten's depression of the immune system (There is a whole chapter on this in the book DANGEROUS GRAINS) but I also note that estrogen can be detoxified by methylation unless you have CD induced B vitamin deficiencies, or can be sulfated unless you have poor sulfation, which is also frequently involved in CD.  So apart from avoiding gluten, you can also supplement B vits and sulfates. (Epsom's salts baths are used by parents of autistic kids to help them increase sulfates when they are reacting to something).  High iron (admittedly rare in celiacs, but it comes on a different gene, so it does happen, I know as I am on the hemochromatosis support group) favors rapid cancer growth. Lowering copper levels can slow cancer growth.  Try a search for "cancer reduction therapy".  I have an address to get you on the support group. You can check to see if your copper level is too high by rubbing a penny, preferably pre 1990, between your palms for a minute or so to warm it, then sniff the penny and sniff your hands.  If it smells really bad, especially if you have to go wash your hands or can taste it, you probably want to get your copper down.   Apart from the prescription drug, you can get copper down with molybdenum, there is info for sheep farmers on how to do this, I can get it from a sheep farmer who is studying naturopathy if you want, that's where I heard about it.

P.S. Iodine!  Needed to break down estrogen from the bad form.  I used to have a sore left breast, seems in celiacs the left is the problem one, and  after about 2 years of it, it was gone in 4 days after I started taking  Atomadine.  Nowadays I take Lugol's,  but Atomadine is pure iodine, affects mostly the breasts as opposed to Lugols, which is half iodine and affects  the thyroid too.

I can not speak about meds but as far as good nutrition goes:  All Ross products are GF (Ensure , Prosure) Nestle products (Resource Plus), Carnation Instant Breakfast, Carb free protein powder from health food store, make sure dairy products are organic(no hormones to feed the cancer) need to watch meats as they are fed antibiotics and hormones. God Bless, I'll say a prayer for you.

Sorry for your disease. I suggest you to post to this other excellent CD site too: http://forums.delphiforums.com/celiac/messages

I have celiac disease but before I was diagnosed, I had breast cancer.  My celiac symptoms began 2 years prior to my breast cancer appearing.   I put down a lot of my symptoms to the cancer and treatment but I have a feeling as my body was immune response, my breast cancer came.  Doctors don't confirm this theory, but I'm pretty sure about it.

My father had celiac and ended up getting lymphoma - he passed away at 66 years old.  I am 47 and have been cancer free for 10 years - I felt I was pretty young to have breast cancer. My lump was removed (luckily) early enough and I had a lumpectomy and radiation and chemo.

I was diagnosed with CD and DH about six years ago in Texas and now live in Michigan.  Six months after we moved to Michigan, I was diagnosed with breast cancer.  I have always felt that it was connected to the fact that I had taken hormone replacement therapy.  There is no history of breast cancer in my immediate family.  I was 57 at the time.  I had opted to have the reconstruction done at the same time as the mastectomy so that when I went to surgery with two breasts and I awoke with two breasts!  The recovery is a little longer, but the results are wonderful.  I can wear a swim suit or low cut dress without worrying about someone seeing the scar.  With a regular mastectomy, you cannot do that.  It seems that this never crosses doctors' minds!  I did have to buy some cotton knit bras for after the surgery that hooked in the front.  I found some, believe it or not, at Kmart.  A nice lady had told me about them.  Exercise is very important after the surgery not only for your well being, but your self esteem.  If Carol has more questions, please email me.

I was diagnosed with breast cancer 5 years ago-- I was celiac at the time but did not know it.  I cured myself of BC within 1-2 months using raw ( living ) foods and lots of carrot juice.  Because I also wasn't eating grains my villi healed along with it.  Also cured ALL my other long list of ailments-- fibromyalgia, arthritis, sinus infections, IBS etc. etc.  It wasn't until my son was diagnosed with CD and then I had the gene test ( have 2 genes), that I realized that CD was responsible from bringing on the breast cancer.  I turned down all conventional therapy.  (From an RN)