From:
Roy Jamron <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Roy Jamron <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Sep 2007 05:28:20 -0400

I was experimenting with a well-known egg substitution to see if
ground golden flaxseed mixed with boiling hot water, about 1 Tbsp per
1/4 cup water per egg steeped for 10 minutes, would be acceptable
for use in my Oat Sorghum Banana Yoghurt Bread recipe.  I was
greatly surprised to find that the resulting flaxseed bread not only was
acceptable, but tasted as good if not better than the bread made with
eggs, and even more surprised that the bread had very little
shrinkage, no tendency to cave in, perfectly straight sides, and greater
volume and height than the same bread made using eggs.  A complete
description of this bread and revised recipe with side by side
comparison photos of the bread made with eggs and with flaxseed can
be found at http://www.gfbakingpans.com/tipsrecipes.html .

I haven't seen any mention of flaxseed having this effect on bread
baking before.  I thought I would share this with you, and see if
anyone else has had similar experience using golden flaxseed as a
substitute for eggs.  Using flaxseed in place of eggs may be a way to
increase bread volume more readily than using hard to get ingredients
such Expandex.  Eggs themselves may be a contributing factor to cave
ins in GF breads.

* * *