From:
Russ Paden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Nov 1998 15:37:34 -0700

I like the idea of an allergy bar added to food labels, but I don't think
it's going to happen any time soon, unfortunately. Wasn't there something
posted here a while back about having a central web site where such
information could be added by manufacturers? I think that is a great idea
that deserves a second look, because it could be started right away by
informed manufacturers, and others could be added as they became educated.
It wouldn't entail any changes to labels, so it could be done without cost
to the manufacturer, and would be very easily updated. It would be nice if
such a site were administrated by the FDA or another such authoritative
body, but that's probably too much to hope for in the beginning.

Such a site could be a clearinghouse for all kinds of food
allergy/sensitivity information. It could be as detailed as necessary for
the particular allergy being addressed, so that individuals and their
doctors could make a judgment based on the available information, for
instance (these are just quick examples off the top of my head, not meant
to be thorough):

PRODUCT XYZ (information current as of 01/01/99)
  Gluten
  _ definitely does NOT contain gluten
  _ definitely contains gluten
  x may contain gluten based on:
    _ vanilla from unknown source
    _ vinegar from unknown source
    _ manufacturing process (eg wheat dusted on conveyor belt)

  Peanuts
  _ definitely does NOT contain peanuts
  x definitely contains peanuts

  Dairy
  x definitely does NOT contain dairy
  _ definitely contains dairy
  _ contains casein only
  _ contains lactose only

And so on, for all the major food allergens (eggs, soy, milk, chocolate,
shellfish, etc). The usefulness of such a page would depend on the detail
contained in the questionnaire given to the manufacturers, and then of
course on the manufacturers' willingness to produce the information and
keep it updated (which is the best reason for putting a date beside the
product name, so someone looking will know when the information was posted).

I think a site like this would be a good place to start, because we already
know lots of manufacturers who would be happy to supply such information,
and more could be added all the time. Each time someone called a
manufacturer to find out what one of their products contains, the caller
could mention that this site existed and ask the manufacturer to post the
information to the site. Questionnaires could be sent to manufacturers by
email or by regular mail. Large manufacturers with good PR departments
would probably happily fill out such a questionnaire rather than field
calls continually.

The layout of the site could be very simple too; a page with products
listed by manufacturer name then product name, and click on the product
name to go to that item's information page.

If someone wanted to act on this idea, it might be advisable to create a
questionnaire and then post it to the list for suggestions on additions or
refinements, possibly even post it to other food sensitivity lists to get
their input, so that it could benefit the greatest number of food sensitive
people.

Here's to knowing what we're eating!

Carma in Phoenix (US)