From:
Melissa Boucher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Apr 2001 21:23:19 EDT

Hi group,

Thank you so much for all the replies.  I really appreciate the help.  I will
summarize what I have learned because several people asked me to.  I went to
Cranford this past weekend and was unable to check out anything but Trader
Joe's.  I will be going back this summer and plan to try some of the
restaurants.

* There is a Trader Joe's in Westfield, NJ.  It had a gluten-free list and
many products.  I did buy a few things (including their store-brand peanut
butter cups which were wonderful!)  :)  I had gone to the Bread and Circus
store in Providence earlier in the week and had stocked up on all sorts of
things, but Trader Joe's seems to have a lot.

*  There is a health food store on Wood Ave. in Linden across from city hall.

*  Fresh Field stores are located all over New Jersey.  They have a list of
gluten-free foods at the customer service counter.  They have a large variety
of GF foods.

*  There is a health food store in Edison called Inman Health Foods in the
Inman Shopping Center.  They carry Pastariso Pasta, Van's waffles, and Ener-G
breads.  They are willing to order things for you also.

*  There is a health food store called Pauline's on Rte. 9 in Manalapan.
They have lots of GF foods.

* There is a HFS in downtown Cranford on Walnut St.

*  There is a Whole Foods Store in Millburn.

Restaurants:

*  The diners are a good place to eat.  They usually have a salad bar.

* There is a Mexican Restaurant called Hacienda on Springfield Ave (route
512) in Berkeley Heights, NJ.  Claire told me she has no problem with the
chips and salsa and the enchilada dinner.

*  Laurie told me about a fabulous Chinese Restaurant on Rt. 22 called Cathay
22.  She brings her own soy sauce (LaChoy) and they make everything special.
I wanted to try this restaurant, but my sister actually cooked special for us
the whole weekend!  She also eats Japanese.  Her teenage celiac kids eat
everywhere--even the diners in Cranford and Westfield.  There is also a
Haagen-Dazs in Westfield and Dairy Queen and Carvel in Cranford.

*  Old Country Buffet on Rt. 9 in  Old Bridge, NJ.  Rosalie eats the plain
chicken, baked potatoes, various hot vegetables, and cold salads (avoid the
ones with mayo).  At night and on Sun. for lunch they have roast beef (no
spices), turkey breast and ham sliced up.  Stay away from the mashed potatoes
and the rice.

AGAIN, Thank you so much for your help.  You people are wonderful!!

Melissa in CT