From:
Melonie Katz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Melonie Katz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Dec 2005 09:38:40 -0800

    Thanks to everyone who replied to my requests for suggestions of GF "oyster" crackers and GF "table crackers."  I had some great suggestions, had one person (who is local) offer to share some of her finds, and even had a dietician send me some samples.  All the replies were positive.  Here is a summary of the replies I rec'd:

  1)  I have a small cracker by a company called "Mary's Gone Crackers".  It comes in the following flavors:  original, pepper, onion, caraway and herb.  I can special order some for you if you are going to be at the beach in the next month or you can find them at www.marysgonecrackers.com
  They are primarily made of short grain brown rice and are dark in color.  They are thin and octagonal in shape.  Some people think they taste like bird seed.  I think they are delicious and I have some nonceliacs who like them too.

2)  I mixed some GF flour, an egg, salt and instant mashed potatoes together. I drop small mounds on an oiled cookie sheet and bake at 350 degrees until they look done. I have done it several times but never written down my "recipe" or the amount of time I bake them. They are not great but taste good in the soup.  I think that some of the Hagman cookbooks have recipes for various kinds of cracker but I do not own any of them.

  3)  There is a Dr. Schar cracker that I purchase in a specialty store in Massachusetts that sells low carb and GF products.  I use them in soup. They are much larger than oyster crackers, so I break them up.
  4)  There is Edward's Brown Rice Snaps in the health food store but they are made in a wheat using facility, it says so on the wrapper even though the ding a ling on their phone told me two years ago the ones made in Japan are from a gf facility. They are good crackers but we are not going to use them because of the packaging warning. We figure that is legal so it is probably more  Accurate than the woman on the phone.

  5)  Oh, do I miss Oyster Crackers! The best I can come up with is the Glutino Breadsticks, broken in thirds. Good Luck

  6)  I would suggest you make croutons to replace these oyster crackers.  Cut gf bread into crouton size, brush with butter or olive oil,  and garlic or other seasoning if you like.  I either put them in a black skillet and  push them around, or even easier is to put them in a shallow pan in a Toaster oven on "Toast" for about 10 minutes.  They are not going to be the  same as oyster crackers, but they can be crunchy and salty and a good replacement.

  7)  I like nut thins - gf crackers

  8)  Orgran has a cracker pepper flavor in their crispbread crackers, but they have a texture more like a triscuit. Hope this helps

    9)  I don't know what you need the crackers for and am not sure what you meant by table cracker... I have two gluten free- hard crackers that taste great with soup or spread with cream cheese. They are  made by a company called sunrise, the label states fat free, gluten free, cholesterol free- Natural Rice Crackers. I have the Tangy Seaweed (doesn't taste anything like having seaweed in it or I wouldn't eat them and they are good), and Savoury which is listed as having Rice, Soy Sauce, Sugar, Tapioca Starch and Natural Paprika Color...no chemical additives, no genetically modified ingredients and when I emailed the company they replied quickly and said both are safe. I have eaten both without a problem. I picked up a bunch at Big Lots in Stafford. My daughter broght me home an additional 10 packs of the Savoury (which isn't my favorite of the two) so if you need some let me know--I'd be happy to share

  10) I also had one wonderful dietician contact me and gave some suggestions.   I was looking for what is called a “table cracker” also and is made by a company called Carr’s.  There is some history behind these crackers.  A classic accompaniment to any fine cheese. Carr's Table Water Crackers just sort of stand at attention and salute the flavor and texture of anything you put on them. They are a truly elegant addition to a cheese.   These crackers were made and transported on ships because they could withstand being made/stored/transported on ships and not lose flavor, etc.  They are also great for making canapés.  So, I was looking for a “hearty” gluten-free cracker that does not have a “buttery” taste.  (these crackers are not like Ritz or Saltines.. they are the kind you would serve with a more elegant hors d’oevres and fancy cheeses or spreads, etc.)  Anyway, the best GF alternative I found was a GF cracker made by Fortitude Brands and are Casaba crackers.  They come in
 several flavors.  This dietician send me some samples and they were great and worked well for the intent I wanted.

  11)  As for the “oyster” cracker substitute, I thought of trying to use NuWorld Amaranth “snackers” which also come in a variety of flavors.  I also thought about dicing some GF bagels (such as Kinnikinnick or EnjoyLifeFoods) and “toasting” them on a cookie sheet in the oven, and then using them as an oyster cracker.  I sometimes make GF croutons this way… and you can even season them if you’d like some “bam!”