From:
Bill Elkus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Jun 1997 13:24:21 EDT

Sara Miller <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>I was diagnosed with a "probable" gluten enteropathy using an Intestinal
>Permeability test through Great Smokies Diagnostic Laboratory in Asheville,
>North Carolina.  <snip>  You fast for 8 hours, collect a urine
>sample, drink a special sugar solution containing lactulose and mannitol,
>collect all urine for the next few hours, and then collect a sample of
>that.  From these samples the level of lactulose recovery can determine an
>increase in permeability between the intestinal epithelial cells ....<snip>
>Are there others of you out there that have
>been diagnosed using this test?

My son's CD was suggested by the above test, but a definitive diagnosis should
be made with the endomysial antibody blood test and ideally with an intestinal
biopsy.  While the intestinal permeability test is a medically recognized test
(used more often in Europe than in the US, I am told), it is not specific for
Celiac Disease.  It shows if the gut is too permeable, but there are other
disorders which could cause this besides CD.  For details on diagnostic
testing, send an email to [log in to unmask] with the body GET
CELIAC DIAG-TST

Bill Elkus
Los Angeles