Date:
Sat, 28 Dec 1996 20:05:13 -0700

Hi Mara,
I am making this a public response because there seems to be a
reluctance, both among medical practitioners, and among support groups,
to speak out about the celiac's  increased risk of malignancy. Nobody
really knows what the lower threshold is for the ingestion of tiny
amounts of gluten. My bias is partly informed by my brother's recent
death from lymphoma. In his case, two oncologists and a general
practitioner repeatedly refused to test him for celiac disease during the
14 months following his diagnosis. It wasn't until 3 weeks prior to his
death that my brother was tested....... it was way too late, by then.

Anyway, you will have to decide for yourself about the extent to which
this effects my objective grasp of the facts.

It is my opinion that only the strictest observance of the diet offers
the best protection against malignancy. And that protection is not
statistically significant until 5 years on the diet.

Medical researchers have known for more than 25 years that celiacs do not
demonstrate the same immune response against maligant cells, especially
lymphoma cells, as is demonstrated by members of the general population.

I'm not trying to scare you, Mara. But I am anxious that fellow celiacs
be made aware of the risks of gluten ingestion. It is my opinion that you
increase your risk of malignancy if you continue to ingest even small
amounts of gluten.

I hope that is helpful.
Best Wishes,
Ron Hoggan