From:
Michelle Azimov <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michelle Azimov <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Sep 2008 11:57:49 -0700

Hi,

Thanks much for all the suggestions.  Here they are:

****
canned baked beans
****
"Enjoy Life" sunbutter crunch bars have no nuts in them and they have 3 grams protein.
EnviroKidz bars are also good, but they only have 1 gram protein.
****
My daughter likes Lara bars.  Only some of the flavors are GF so you have to check the labels.  I think they have a decent amount of protein. KIND bars are another choice, but most have nuts. We buy them both in Whole Foods, Wegmans and local health food stores.
****
Glutino fruit bars
****
SPAM in the individual pks.  Tastes great and keeps for a long time.  Even if he doesn't like SPAM, in a dire emergency and he's really hungry, I'll bet it would suffice.
****
We tried every GF "bar" we could find during a recent trip and my son hated them all.  I can't say I blame him as I tried most of his rejects and didn't like them either.  If it were my kid, I would send beef jerky or meat sticks since he loves those.
****
Pure Fit Nutrition Bars are gluten free and have good soy protein in them.  You can order on line, or find at places like Whole Foods.
****
How about jerked meat, salted and/or smoked fish, chocolate, and amino acid supplements that the body builders use?
****
Does he like jerky? Some of it has soy sauce in it, but a lot of it does not. And it keeps forever. So does some of the pepperoni. Corn nuts are great also, but they don't have any protein to speak of. Asian stores also carry a sort of "fish jerky" that is rather tasty too (actually it's usually made of squid, which sounds awful but we loved it when we were kids).
****
As for nuts ... canned nuts are great. I appreciate there are a lot of nut allergies ... I also think that the school is obviously not handling gluten/casein allergies, which are even more common. I carry an emergency jar of peanut butter when traveling.  I AM careful not to open it around anyone who has peanut allergies, but peanut butter is a great travel food. Canned nuts work too. But once the can is open, or if the nuts are in bags, they get rancid.
****
Sunflower seeds?  My kids like them, & they're as healthy as nuts if not moreso, but being seeds are safe for the nut-allergic kids.  Maybe combine with raisins & such for trail mix?
****
Have you tried Zone Perfect Bars?  Several of their flavors do not have gluten ingredients.  I am not sure about nut-derived ingredients, but they're not nut-based like so many GF bars.  Their Fudge Graham flavor doesn't have gluten (we use a peanut toffee flavor that wouldn't work for you).
****
Think Thin chocolate fudge bar.  It has soy in it, but it's close to what candy would taste like and has about 20 gms of protein.  http://www.thinkproducts.com/thin-chocolate-fudge.php  for info.  A kid might eat them.
****
At our school, each parent provided their own child's "Earthquake/ Natural Disaster food kit." We were told what to bring but the brands and specifics were left to the parents. Our kit consisted of juice, beef jerky, dried fruit, chewing gum, nutrition or granola bars- you could put in Enjoy Life Bars. Good luck!
****
hemp milk is pretty sweet and might be liked by kids. Try some varieties. there are also hemp powder protein packs, but I don't imagine kids would go for that. Might be good for your family's emergency kit, though. What about tuna/salmon in aluminum bags? There may be soy in the flavor, and I don't really know if they are gf, but you could contact the company.
****
Hormel pepperoni