From:
Kathleen Curet <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Jul 2002 18:03:12 -0700

Hi Everyone - I'm new in the posting department...but I've been reading
for 3 months, learning about cd.  Two of my children (ages 6 & 9) had
celiac blood panel through Prometheus (IgA, IgG, EMA, TTg, Total Serum).
All but the IgA came back within normal range, both tested above normal
in the IgA.  The next step was to biopsy them but I didn't want to do
that hearing that limited/patchy damage to the intestine at their age
could give a false negative.  Some list members recommended that I look
into Dr. K. Fine's tests, which I did.  After consulting with my dr (who
has limited knowledge of cd) we decided to do the Fecal Anti-gliadin
test and the Quantitative Fecal Fat test (to test for malabsorption
indicating damaged small intestine).  I decided to have the whole family
(4 kids, husband and self) tested to clear up the mystery of a myriad of
symptoms, both typical and atypical.  I got the results back yesterday
for all 6 of us and ALL of us are positive!!!  Our IgA numbers range
from 27 units to 73 units (<10 Normal).  The Fecal Fat results ranged
from 600 to 750 units (normal <300 units)!  My niece is diagnosed
celiac, mother-in-law has gone gf but not confirmed cd, so its likely on
both sides of the family, but I can't believe we are all positive.  My
question is what to do now.  I don't have an educated doctor (on cd)
that I know of (I'm 200 miles from a minor city - 5 hrs. from major city
- Boise or Salt Lake).

So,is this it?  or do we test some more?  My husband is willing to get a
biopsy to confirm.  Anyone else use EnteroLab?  At first I was elated
that our beast has a name and could be dealt with when identified, but
now that its all of us it seems almost too neat and tidy - or messy.  I
guess that it will be easier to plan gf meals for the whole family
rather than 1 or 2 celiacs in the family. Anyone with any suggestions
for what to do next would be much appreciated.  I've been reading and
learning a ton from all of you - it doesn't seem quite so impossible as
when I first started looking into all of this - I just don't want to
jump-the-gun and go gf without being 100% positive.  I'm still in the
stunned state...but it'll settle in soon enough.  Thanks in advance for
your help.

Kate in Salmon, Idaho