From:
CATHERINE JOHNSON <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Sep 1996 10:24:09 -0400

   On this thread of CD unawareness among medical professionals, I have a
   sad story.

   A lovely man I knew was one of the best pediatricians in our city for
   many many years.  He died about 2 years ago of lung cancer though he
   never smoked a cigarette in his life.  I spoke with his widow last
   spring and discovered he had celiac disease and was eating a GF diet for
   several years (I'm not sure how many).  I was amazed at the ignorance of
   his wife.  She said they had never attended a support group, didn't have
   any GF cookbooks and had struggled for years trying to make yet another
   plate of mashed potatoes look like something other than a plate of
   mashed potatoes.  Evidently the doctor didn't take much interest in food
   and tried to make good choices from the limited foods he thought were
   acceptable.  He continued to have nasty GI symptoms until he became so
   sick from the cancer he stopped all oral feeding.  From what I heard, it
   sounds like both of them were grossly under-informed and mis-informed.

   Then, I spoke with the doctor's office nurse not too long ago and she
   said he never diagnosed CD in a single child during his 30+ year
   practice.  Little wonder since he didn't seem to be on top of his game
   with his own health.

   I find it very sad that the doctor didn't have a clue on where to go for
   support about CD when it was his own significant health problem.
   Perhaps he would have dug a little deeper if the celiac had been one of
   his patients or his own children, but I doubt it.

   Cathy in CT