From:
Don Wiss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 May 2001 19:36:40 -0400

Scott Adams wrote:

>DON WROTE:
>>This was one of your first products after you opened the mall in January
>>1999. This was before the study noted above was published in February 1999.
>>But after the Canadian study showing distress. A summary of the Canadian
>>study was published on the front page of the Spring 1995 issue of the
>>Celiac News from the Canadian Celiac Association. I posted it to the list
>>in August 1995, and several times afterwards.
>>
>>You state "study after study." How many is this?
>
>SCOTT RESPONDS:
>
>Correct me if I am wrong as I am going from memory, but didn't that study
>deal with non-Codex wheat starch?  If so, it obviously has not bearing on
>this issue.

All the CCA newsletter had was: "As evidence, Dr. Seidman referred to a
study of 25 adults who had never ingested wheat starch. The study
introduced wheat starch into their diet. Half of the group were forced to
remove themselves from the study due to adverse symptoms."

That study appears to be similar to this one:

Chartrand LJ; Russo PA; Duhaime AG; Seidman EG. Wheat starch intolerance
in patients with celiac disease. J Am Diet Assoc, 97(6):612-8  1997 Ju.n
That Graeme from New Zealand posted to this list on April 29th. You can see
it in full in the archives at:

http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/CGI/wa.exe?A2=ind0104e&L=celiac&F=&S=&P=2386

>Here are a few studies that I found quickly doing an Internet search (the
>Canadian one was not found, please let me know where it was published):

But all, except one of them, are from after you started carrying this
product at your site. The one from before is this one, which you posted no
abstract for. How do you know what it is about?

TITLE: Wheat deficient in gliadins: promising tool for treatment of
coeliac disease M Frisoni, GR Corazza, D Lafiandra, E De Ambrogio, C
Filipponi, F Bonvicini, E Borasio, E Porceddu, and G Gasbarrini Gut 1995
36: 375-378 Universita di Bologna, Italy

I just checked Medline. The abstract for this one has nothing to do with
the current debate. It is:

The toxicity of two varieties of bread wheat, one poor in alpha and beta
gliadins and the other poor in alpha, beta, gamma, and omega gliadins, has
been tested. The peptic-tryptic digest of these wheats was assessed using
coeliac mucosa in an in vitro organ culture system. A significantly lower
toxicity was found in respect of bread wheat containing all gliadin
fractions. These results suggest new opportunities for the treatment of
coeliac disease.

Don.