From:
Rita Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Rita Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 Nov 2006 10:55:59 -0600

Once again I am overwhelmed with the extremely nice and helpful people on this list.  I appreciate all the information.  This list makes traveling so much easier.  Bless you all for taking the time to respond.  Rita

The following website will list has lots of information on San Diego restaurants that have gluten-free offerings:   http://www.kintera.org

Go to www.glutenfreeinsd.com and click on restaurants.

You can eat at a fast food restaurant called In 'n' Out.  Just ask for their protein style hamburger or cheeseburger. That means that the hamburger will come wrapped in lettuce.  Make sure you order it with out the sauce.  Their fries are okay.  Fresh cut and no contaminated oils.  They also have shakes that you can have.

Naval Sub base is in Point Loma. There is a lot or restaurants between these points. Do you have an military ID card?  They sell GF products at 32nd Naval Base from frozen pizza to bread mix.  At 32nd Street Naval Base they sell Amy's frozen gluten pizza, rice bowl.  Bob's Red Mill gluten free bread.  And they sell Bionaturae Gluten Free pasta.

The Fish Market by the Midway is gluten free they do a pretty good job.  Anthony's Fish Grotto is gluten free.

1.  In-n-Out Burgers -- fast-food -- order the "protein-style" burger, which comes wrapped in lettuce instead of a bun.  The sauce is GF, as are fries. EXCELLENT burgers, even by Texas standards.

2.  Tony Roma's (national chain -- kid-friendly) -- they have a list of their GF foods.  800/286-7662

3.  Outback Steakhouse (national chain -- kid-friendly) -- they have a list of GF menu items.  813/282-1225.

4.  Chevy's (regional chain -- kid-friendly) -- they don't have a list of GF items, but they "get it" when you call and ask.  You need to check each individual restaurant, though, because they each do things differently. 800/4-chevys

5.  El Pollo Loco (regional chain -- kid-friendly -- fast food, but very fresh and good) -- most of their items are GF. 949/399-2000

6.  Because of our proximity to the border, you'll find lots of Mexican restaurants -- the more authentic, the safer (and better), since most Mexican food is GF (except, of course, flour tortillas, and other obvious no-no's).  You're usually safe with the shredded chicken or beef in a corn tortilla, beans, Spanish rice.  Beware of the enchilada sauce, although usually it's safe too.  The Spanish word for "flour" is "harina" (don't pronounce the "h") -- the word for wheat is "trigo."  If you say "no harina" or "no trigo," they usually understand what you mean.

7.  Because of our proximity to the Pacific Ocean, you'll find great seafood restaurants.  Most restaurants here grill the seafood in a very light sauce -- usually GF.  You can always request that it be drizzled with butter and grilled.

I haven't been to the Zoo or Sea World lately, but just happened to call Sea World this morning -- number is (619)  222-6363.  I would call in advance and let them know that you're coming, ask about menu items, etc.  We used to go every Friday when my kids were little, and I would always take food in. They hate that -- they check bags at the gates -- but I would just say, "he has a restricted diet and can get deathly ill if he eats something with gluten in it" and that was enough to scare them into letting me go through with my goodies.  So you might want to stop at the nearest store and load up

on yogurt, fruit, string cheese, etc. and take it in with you.

While you're in town, you might want to stop at a Trader Joe's or a Henry's -- both are "healthy" stores (but they're not pricey like most) that carry a lot of GF foods.  Both are locally owned, and loaded with GF goodies.  There's also a Whole Foods in Hillcrest & La Jolla that sometimes has freshly baked GF muffins.

There is a Mexican restaurant called El Pollo Loco that has alot of gf food.  It is fast food and pretty good.

I've had a couple of good meals at the "World Famous Restaurant" in P.B., right on the beach, although I did have to send my salad back because of the bread wedges nestled along side my salad!!  They apologized and made a new salad for me.  T.D. Hayes is great for prime rib, also on the beach.  Tony Roma's is also good.

I highly recommend Tastes in Encinitas. It is a little wine tasting/restaurant with a gourmet chef named Sean Fisher. Make sure to speak with him. It is wonderful!
Their # is 760-942-9549.

I just got back from San Diego on a 2 day business trip. Every restaurant I went into, from Bertrands at Mr. A's to Top of the Market, were absolutely a jewel to work with. Even when we ate lunch out, they were knowledgeable and helped me out and served me food with taste. I showed my Triumph dining card and asked for a manager. One manager came out and said his whole family was gluten free and went in the back and cooked me pasta himself! (Lundberg rice pasta). Don't worry. You'll be well taken care of!

The restaurant is Anthony's Fish Grotto,  1360 N. Harbor Dr.,  ph. 619-232-5103
www.gofishanthonys.com  This one is on the mainland, near the Maritime Museum and one of the aircraft carriers that's a museum, not on the island where some of the base is. And I believe Pacific Beach is slightly north of here. The website or MapQuest can link you to a map.

We went to Pacific Beach too, and I know we ate there, but my son may have
treated, because it's not in our records.  FYI...If you're going to the Wildlife Safari in Escondido, call ahead. The  only thing I could find to eat there was a baked potato up near the giraffe exhibit. I had better luck in Sea World..although it was just fruit salad
and ice cream. I can't recall my experience in the zoo.

There is a great fish restaurant near the maritime museum. I could look up the name in my old charge receipts. I can't say it's near Pacific Beach, but I know it wasn't far from the Naval base...My son was stationed there.

I can highly recommend Sadaf, a Persian Restaurant at 828 5th Ave. It has many choices that are naturally gluten free and the staff are fairly knowledgable as well. It has really delicious food, a great change from green salad for an entree and fresh fruit for dessert.

Another place for lunch that has some really good food is a kosher diner. Unfortunately, I can't remember the name but it is a very busy and seemingly well known restaurant. I don't know if it has dinner hours, as I went for lunch. They served really fresh food that was delicious and were VERY knowledgeable about gluten free items. You might be able to ask around and find the name and address.