From:
Lin Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lin Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Jun 2006 10:08:48 -0400

Earlier this week, I posted the response from Gluten-free Pantry about the codes on their packaging and how to tell when something expires. I've since been flooded with emails saying you (those who wrote) couldn't figure out what the 213 means in their example (see below).

If you check your calendar, you'll find that 213 is Aug. 1st, because Aug. 1st is the 213th day of the year. If the product was made on Aug. 2, the code would begin with 214.

If you have any further questions, the ph. number for GF Pantry and their website are listed in their email below. It's always best to contact companies directly. Customer feedback is what drives customer service.

Thank you.

Lin

This is what GF Pantry sent me when I asked how to interpret their code:

Thank you for your email.  Our product codes are based on production
dates.  They are usually a 5 digit number (ie21351 or 2135-1).  The code
breaks down as follows:
The first three digits represent the day of the year the product was
made.  In the example above 213=August 1.
The fourth number is the year.  Our example 5=2005
The last number is the batch of the day, our example 1=First.
So 21351 >>>    213         5                      1
translates to   August 1, 2005, the first batch of the day.
The products are good for at least 1 year, and possibly longer provided =
the packaging is not torn.
Hope this helps.
Sincerely,
Elli Surkes