From:
savvyseller <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
savvyseller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Jan 2009 18:49:31 -0500

PRESS RELEASE: BOSTON, Jan. 14 /PRNewswire/ -- Following a highly
successful market test, Uno Chicago Grill(R) will offer its new, gluten-free
pizza nationally. Uno(R) is the first national casual dining chain to offer a
gluten-free pizza and received very positive feedback from guests who suffer
from celiac disease, which affects approximately one percent of the population.

In fact, word-of-mouth reaction from the gluten-free community during the
northeastern market test prompted the company to advance the timetable for
a national rollout.

"Food allergies are a very serious, sometimes life-threatening, issue for many
Americans," notes Uno CEO Frank Guidara. "Pizza is our signature product, and
we wanted to offer a gluten-free pizza so all of our guests could enjoy it when
dining at Uno."

"Consumer reaction was so positive in the gluten-free community that our
restaurants began receiving requests to carry the new pizza," noted Richard
Hendrie, senior vice president, marketing, Uno Chicago Grill. "Because the
demand was so strong, we decided to pull out all the stops to get the gluten-
free pizza into our 200-plus locations as quickly as possible."

Recently lauded as America's Healthiest Chain Restaurant, Uno has added
gluten-free cheese and pepperoni pizzas to what is already one of the most
extensive gluten-free menus available for a casual dining chain. This is good
news to the estimated three million Americans diagnosed with celiac disease,
as well as an additional seven million Americans who have a wheat intolerance
or allergy and rely on gluten-free foods. While awareness of celiac disease is
rising, an estimated 97 percent of those who have it remain undiagnosed.

Guidara explained that it took over a year of research and development to find
just the right recipe for a brand that is known for its iconic pizza. "While we
want to meet the needs of guests with allergies, we never forget that we are
about great taste and choice, and that means developing new dishes that are
healthful without sacrificing great flavor."

Uno Chicago Grill works closely with its Nutrition Advisory Board, which meets
quarterly to discuss trends and solutions to improve the quality and nutritional
value of its menu. Guidara oversees the Advisory Board and brings his
expertise as a member of the Harvard School of Public Health Nutrition
Roundtable.

According to the Gluten Intolerance Group, surveys show that about 15 to 25
percent of consumers report looking for gluten-free products, far more than
need to.

Uno boasts a number of healthy firsts, including being the first national
restaurant chain to eliminate artificial trans-fats and to increase menu and
nutritional transparency via nutrition information centers located in their
restaurants. The company's gluten-free menu has 20 items ranging from
entrees, salads, sides and desserts. For guest convenience and safety, Uno
clearly labels menu items with ingredients that are linked to the most common
food allergies, such as fish/shellfish, soy, tree nuts/peanuts, egg, milk and
wheat/gluten. Diners can also preview the menu and nutritional information
online via the company's website at http://www.unos.com.