From:
Susan Ivey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Apr 2000 12:37:25 -0400

A lot of a person's success at living GF is related to the family
support he/she receives. I have one celiac family member whose spouse
treats the condition as a burden and an imposition, and refuses to cook
or alter the family's diet.  She seems to think he should be able to
will this condition away and that is a personal attack on her that he
won't do so.  On the other hand, I have another family member (my dad!)
whose wife and kids were very excited to finally learn what his problem
was, and so relieved that we could DO something to help make him
healthy. We treated it as an intellectual challenge to find creative
recipes. It has been a fun group effort over the last decade.  Dad is in
excellent health. He has also become a very good cook, experimenting
with lots of herbs and spices. Of course, it is ultimately the celiac's
responsibility to take care of him/her self, and stick to the diet, but
the attitude of the family can make a difference. I wonder if sometimes
when some of our fellow list members sound frustrated and seem to
verbally strike out in their email, if they might be feeling all alone
with this problem, and may not have good family support.